Northern Farm no longer safe to ride on your own

Dibles

what is an good average speed for let say 1 lap at groenie for not-so-beginner-anymore? 

I'm by no means a beginner as I've been mountain biking for 15 or so years now but I'm still slow (very, very slow). It is hard to give an average speed as I'm not sure which route you take. The singletrack does slow one down a little.

I tend to ride hill repeats and other strange routes when I'm at Groenkloof plus I am following a heartrate based training program so I have no idea what I average around there if I was to ride without sticking to a specific heartrate.

What speed do you average at Groenies?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is an good average speed for let say 1 lap at groenie for not-so-beginner-anymore? 

You'll have to define 'lap'. I normally do the longest lap you can do without repeating a section. This included all the single track and all the climbs. It is ~20k's and riding alone with no one to chase (or being chased) I average just over 20. So I'd say 20 is a good average for a not-so-beginner-anymore'

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mandibles, I'm also interested in joining you at NF. I'm new to MTB'ing but not cycling. Should be able to keep up. Please let me know when you plan on riding again. :)

Hey Mandibles' date=' I'm also interested in joining you at NF. I'm new to MTB'ing but not cycling. Should be able to keep up. Please let me know when you plan on riding again. :)[/quote']

We will be riding there every weekend if possible (not sure if it will be a Saturday or Sunday). Anyone should be able to keep up with me Embarrassed 

I will be doing 4-5 hr rides but you needn't stay for the full duration of the ride. We will make sure that those who leave the ride early make it back to the car park safely.

I'll post the upcoming rides under the "Group Rides" forum. We had our first group ride there on New Year's Day. Big%20smile

smiley4.gif smiley4.gif smiley4.gif

I'm definately in for a few Sunday rides, if they on. I work many Saturdays so that would suit me perfectly. looking forward to it.

are you planning anything this saturday?

Looks like I will be riding on Saturday morning. Just not sure what time yet though as I have a meeting there after 9 am plus I am supposed to be doing hill training on Saturday and not flat stuff. What I am considering is a 2-3 hr ride on Saturday starting at 7am (and will then do the remainder of my day's training on my IDT).  Are you keen on a ride?

you can count me in for a group ride... even just seeing other cyclists in the nearby vacinity will be good enough for me...

Unfortunately another hijacking at Northern Farms along the western border on Sunday 03/01/2010 at approximately 10:30.

Where are all these stolen bikes going?

Dibles

- I would like to join you for training ride, unfortunately will not be able to make this Saturday, will follow your "Group Rides" forum, thanks.

Dibles - I would like to join you for training ride' date=' unfortunately will not be able to make this Saturday, will follow your "Group Rides" forum, thanks.

[/quote']

The group rides will probably take place on Sundays for the next two or so months. This weekend is an exception.

Hi Guys,

We live 8 k's from the Northern farm entrance on a smallholding. Should you like, talk to Mailman7412 (hubby) and you can with the greatest pleasure come and park at out place, there is MORE than enough safe parking space, and all can ride in a group to Northern Farms. Our Protection is electric fencing and a BIG Boerbull...

Hi Guys' date='

We live 8 k's from the Northern farm entrance on a smallholding. Should you like, talk to Mailman7412 (hubby) and you can with the greatest pleasure come and park at out place, there is MORE than enough safe parking space, and all can ride in a group to Northern Farms. Our Protection is electric fencing and a BIG Boerbull...
[/quote']

Thanks for the kind offer Maddy. The parking should still be safe at NF especially at peak times. I think the parking incident took place when the Farm was very quiet. We are riding there on Saturday morning and the Farm is usually very busy at that time of the day.

Edit: I see the initial email that I posted on page 1 mentions that there is now a car guard on duty.
Dibles2010-01-05 10:16:23