Glass and Tyres

fastlegs

BTW Weight Weenie - tyre liners don't work well on a road bike.  The tyre is too narrow and the pressure causes the tubes to tear.

I use the GP 4000S and they are definitely better than the gator skins.? If you keep them at 120psi they don't seem to struggle much with glass and are also a lot easier to put on than the gator skins' date=' as well as seeming to be faster (or at least smoother).[/quote']

120 psi you for real.. that's like 8 bar. I pump up my 4000S to 90psi or 6 bar. it gets really prone to cuts above 6. I thought i was gone be smart and pump it up to 7 on the the centurion cycle challenge and i had a flat tire the first 5km.

I'm really disappointed the GP 4000S. I use Vredestein Ricorso as may training tires and i do many miles on them. Most resistant tire ive ever owned. This entire year i only had 1 puncture on them. With the GP4000S only after 2 weeks of having them i had a puncture and they are full of cuts.

8 bar definitely works for me and still happy with my 4000s's, but I've only done about a 1000km on them now, but they still look like new.

I guess bad luck also plays a role in forming our impressions about specific tyres...

Don't forget to put a gator in your tubby bag for when the glass slices through your tyre.

I use old Liquifruit boxes - the plastic covered foil is water proof and will prop up a cut so you can get home...

i also pump my 4000's to 8bar. super smooth and durable but do give a strange "falling away" feeling when cornering at high speed on descents. In wet weather I drop em down to 7bar and still ok.  not the most expensive tyre but also not the cheapest.  Best to get a good, long lasting but rel. cheaper training tyre.  ANy extra weight then just means racing set up feels super light.

I would like to actually ride like a zipp 404 tubbie or an easton or a hed or a lightweight or any of the tubbies that the pro's ride just to get a realtime feel for what they actually feal like...?!?  I.E. r they viable for us normal, financially not sponsered, riders.