Glass and Tyres

fastlegs

smiley19.gif ok so i have been discovering lately that tyres don't like glass (from inconsiderate people that throw all manner of glass on the roadside), Last couple of rides I have been getting deep slashes, holes, etc on my tyres, that it is resembling swiss cheese, so how does one repair all the deep cuts and holes instead of having to purchase new tyres (as they are still pretty new)

it sure sux that dronkies believe its cool to throw glass out of moving vehicles. if karma exists then what fait awaits them?

Guest Frail4Life

it sure sux that dronkies believe its cool to throw glass out of moving vehicles. if karma exists then what fait awaits them?

When they take a bike and start riding one day.

The conti gator duraskin has been great and has held up, all sliced up but no penetration to the tube (touch wood)

With silicone...Big%20smile

just ask Woofie how not to do it!

Silicone in the cuts only, not the whole tyre, he will tell you after his slip & slide experience!

apply super glue to the cut/hole THEN immediately apply some black silicon to the same area ... use a needle or similar object to rub the "goo" into the hole/cut....makes a nice gooey black mess...leave to dry for 10-20mins.... works well for me.

great, thanks for the advice, off to purchase silicone, superglue and voodoo doll for the next person that throws glass onto the road!

vittoria rubino as a training tyre. bit heavy but ultra long lasting. use them on training wheels and on indoor trainer.   

With silicone...Big%20smile

just ask Woofie how not to do it!

Silicone in the cuts only' date=' not the whole tyre, he will tell you after his slip & slide experience!

[/quote']

Yep, trust me.

Dont go heavy on the silicon.

If you on that section while turning hard, you will eat lots of tar! Ouch

If the cut is really big, patch it from the inside and then fill the cut with super glue.

I am too scared to put the silicon anywhere near my bike again. Embarrassed

I too have been going through loads of glass for the last month though.

It is crazy Angry

I am often having to ride in the car section of the road to avoid the big chunks of it.

Really bad. I really dont want to become other RIP on the hub....... Ouch

I think they should start putting a R5 deposit on every glass bottle sold, in that way people will take the bottle back so they can get the R5.

Even if they cant reuse the bottle, it can at least be trashed somewhere else and not in the roads.

Ride a MTB on some proper trails, no glass there ;)

Maybe try some tyre liners to protect the tube as well ? Weight Weenie2009-12-24 16:22:23

I use the GP 4000S and they are definitely better than the gator skins.  If you keep them at 120psi they don't seem to struggle much with glass and are also a lot easier to put on than the gator skins, as well as seeming to be faster (or at least smoother).