Northern farm

doreen

Gps data isn't accurate enough, seeing as it only updates your location on the server every 30secs. Every update has to send a sms or a gprs message to the server that is too expensive to do every half second.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gps data isn't accurate enough' date=' seeing as it only updates your location on the server every 30secs. Every update has to send a sms or a gprs message to the server that is too expensive to do every half second.[/quote']

If I am lying in a ditch i would prefer a signal to go out every 30 sec than no signal going out.. leaving me there until someone finds me by chance

I agree. That's why it sends your location every 30 seconds.

My point was that, with messages sent every 30secs, it will not pick up sudden crashes, turns or flips. For that functionality it has to send the messages every half/quarter second, which is not viable.

Just got the email below from the Northern Farm forum:

"Dear Mandy,

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I refer to my previous e mail in December regarding an increase in crime in the area surrounding the farm and the farm itself.

Over the December period, there were two incidents of bike jackings outside of the farm, I can not comment about these as I have no specific information.

A vehicle was stolen from the car park in December and three intruders were chased off of the farm two weekends ago, one of whom was subsequently arrested.

This Sunday someone was unfortunately bike jacked while riding on the outer perimiter road next to the mielie fields and on the way to the cemetry.

The rumours that are flying around are obviously blowing the incident out of proportion, there was only one actual incident, which I agree is one too many.

I will be meeting with farm management to discuss ways in which we can mitigate against these risks in the future and will send out a further e mail within the next few days. Rest assured we shall take all reasonable steps to protect the farm users against these criminal elements.

In the meantime, may I suggest that should you have any queries in this regard you address them to either myself or another member of the NFRUG committee.

Regards

Simon Nash

Northern Farm MTB Representative

simon at northernfarm dot co dot za

"

?

surely mtbing involves lots of changes of speed and direction.

?

In your case even more so WinkBig%20smile

In HR's case, I think it is termed being inverted smiley4.gif

With the crime rate and the way things get stolen we may have to fit these tracker thingies in our spinn bikes as well.

BTW we are buying two of them when we get to Lagos on Saturday as we will be Tandem-less until May.

?

surely mtbing involves lots of changes of speed and direction.

In your case even more so WinkBig%20smile

In HR's case' date=' I think it is termed being inverted smiley4.gif [/quote']

ja, ja, listen to the oldies going on smiley17.gif stockton, 'nuff said, pal smiley36.gif bennie, two words, pal: "gap jump" smiley2.gif

anyhows, to get back to the subject...

HR' date=' you are right, there was a guy who was asking about a gadget that fits into the tube your seatpost goes into. It worked similar to a tracker and it was a permanent thingymabob. My search skills suck ... I tried to find it .. it was earlier last year I think ...

[/quote']

i have an old issue of mbuk that featured it...will search for it after the boys go home. holy roller2010-01-04 08:34:34

Oom. wot's this I hear about some abandoned Lada you once had?

Yup had a Ruski once, the dollied up one with the fensie tyres and rims, aircon and chrome bullbar..... in purple nogal. Sold it when I went to Moz in 2005. It now lives in Hogsback.

On a 4x4 day I recovered a Landcruizer and a Nissan with it!!!!!!!

Yup had a Ruski once' date=' the dollied up one with the fensie tyres and rims, aircon and chrome bullbar..... in purple nogal. Sold it when I went to Moz in 2005. It now lives in Hogsback.

[/quote']

NiceBig%20smile

Mine's in camo, like Vlad Putin'sWink

Yup had a Ruski once' date=' the dollied up one with the fensie tyres and rims, aircon and chrome bullbar..... in purple nogal. Sold it when I went to Moz in 2005. It now lives in Hogsback.

[/quote']

NiceBig%20smile
Mine's in camo, like Vlad Putin'sWink

Wow!!!!! bloodstains, bulletholes and all!!!!!! Do you know Jan Pretorius??????

thats the time my friend saw them in the mealie field and shouted to me to turn around... we approached from tombstone and then headed back at an extremely fast pace ( my fast pace) in that direction and across back to the car park.... I screamed as loud as I could when I saw this guy head up that way but am so sorry you did not hear me and there was no way I could give chase and catch you if my life depended on it... I am seriously slow - which at almost 60 years old I am entitled to be...

we did warn everyone that we passed on the way back and reported it to the guys washing the bikes who contacted simon immediately as he had just gone out for a ride..

I am sorry Cry

Cyclesure's response to my querie regarding bicycle tracking devices

"One of the tracking companies did develop a tracking device for us, but a stumble block at this stage to implement it successfully, is to develop a power source which will last a long time and which can be easily replaced.

We will notify you as soon as a solution has been found."

Ive also enquired from all the other tracking co's, will let you know what they say

thats the time my friend saw them in the mealie field and shouted to me to turn around... we approached from tombstone and then headed back at an extremely fast pace ( my fast pace) in that direction and across back to the car park.... I screamed as loud as I could when I saw this guy head up that way but am so sorry you did not hear me and there was no way I could give chase and catch you if my life depended on it... I am seriously slow - which at almost 60 years old I am entitled to be...

we did warn everyone that we passed on the way back and reported it to the guys washing the bikes who contacted simon immediately as he had just gone out for a ride..

I am sorry Cry

don't be sorry. it's not your fault. you did what you could, and you did good. kudos to you for bringing this incident to our attention.

Email from northernfarm:

Dear Mandy,

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Further to my previous e mails on the crime problems we have experienced recently.

We have put a car guard on patrol in the car park and have arranged with farm management to clear up the grass and trees between the farm and the outside road.

The problems have taken place on the outer perimeter road which runs parallel to the hills and dales road.

We have set up three teams of two from the Diepsloot development project(older boys) and will provide them with pepper spray and radios. They will patrol this road, one team starting at the far end of the road, one in the middle and one at the beginning.The patrols will start at 6.30 a.m on Saturdays and Sundays.

We are also negotiating with two companies to provide armed patrols along this section, and others and will have finalised something by this weekend.

We advise people to ride in groups and not on their own. We also advise against riding on the roads outside of the farm. We are confident that these steps will encourage the criminal element to take their activities elsewhere.

Regards

Simon Nash

Northern Farm MTB Representative