So I see that CSC has...........

widget

Riis had the b@lls to admit EVERYTHING and this is what he gets.  Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut.  Would have been better for everyone if we didn't know about it.  If you honestly admit your transgressions when you don't have to, you open yourself up to be critisized by every wannebee cycling hack/'experts' on bulletin boards all over the world and give the UCI and ASO a stick to beat you with (when they had their heads in the sand when all of this took place!)

So maybe Lance, Basso, Virenque, Ullrich, BAsso and the Quickstep boys are correct; just deny, deny, deny, deny!!!!  Funny how people like David Millar gets excused after two years, but every self righteous bstard believes Riis needs to burn in hell because he came clean 10 years down the line.  I think we need to thank him for having the courage to admit the WHOLE truth, not just the convenient half-truth a la Zabel.

Willehond - If a guy walks into a police station 10 years after robbing a bank and admits to the crime he may receive leniancy but there is still a price to pay.

I for one am certainly not going to thank a criminal and a cheat simply because his conscience got the better of him - he was dishonest and deserves to pay the price.

Also I am not entirely sure if you are refering directly to my post but should you be please note that my post and proposed punishment applies to all those riders who have been dishonest and not only Riijs. If Lance is bust 10 years down the line I propose he face exactly the same consequences - only it would cost him 7 Million Euros.

Riis had the b@lls to admit EVERYTHING and this is what he gets.  Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut.  Would have been better for everyone if we didn't know about it.  If you honestly admit your transgressions when you don't have to' date=' you open yourself up to be critisized by every wannebee cycling hack/'experts' on bulletin boards all over the world and give the UCI and ASO a stick to beat you with (when they had their heads in the sand when all of this took place!)

So maybe Lance, Basso, Virenque, Ullrich, BAsso and the Quickstep boys are correct; just deny, deny, deny, deny!!!!  Funny how people like David Millar gets excused after two years, but every self righteous bstard believes Riis needs to burn in hell because he came clean 10 years down the line.  I think we need to thank him for having the courage to admit the WHOLE truth, not just the convenient half-truth a la Zabel.
[/quote']

It's human nature. Beat the guy while he's down but if there's a dodgy deal on the go then everyone wants to be part of it.

The UCI is one the BIGGEST players in this whole affair. As you said, they've kept VERY quiet for a VERY long time and now they're all against it.

Interestingly, the guys in Spain are STILL waiting for the UCI to answer many letters they have sent them.

This whole sport is corrupt.

What about Unibet ? They spent millions being part of the ProTour and now they're being used in a political ego battle between the UCI and ASO.

What do  they get ? Instead of being allowed to ride Paris-Nice,  Giro / Tour they're relegated to riding a 1 week 2.1 stage race in Ireland....GREAT value for money.

The question is..if Unibet can't ride in France then why should Lotto be allowed to ? ect etc etc it's all Bullsh*t

Willehond - If a guy walks into a police station 10 years after robbing a bank and admits to the crime he may receive leniancy but there is still a price to pay.

I for one am certainly not going to thank a criminal and a cheat simply because his conscience got the better of him - he was dishonest and deserves to pay the price.

Also I am not entirely sure if you are refering directly to my post but should you be please note that my post and proposed punishment applies to all those riders who have been dishonest and not only Riijs. If Lance is bust 10 years down the line I propose he face exactly the same consequences - only it would cost him 7 Million Euros.

MuXmAn, that is not strictly true.  If you admit a crime, even a real bad one, and it falls outside the statute of limitations you cannot be prosecuted for it.  For instance if someone waits to many years to report an assault or rape the perpetrator cannot be prosecuted in certain cases.  No price to pay.

The UCI has a similar time limit.  They determine that you will not face punishment more than 10 years after the offence.

Surely if serious criminals get some slack, we can do the same for cyclists? Especially if we want the truth to come out so that we can move forward?  My point is that the other cheats will look at Riis and just shut up.  We need to encourage old dopers to come forth, not discourage them.

Lets put doping into perspective; it is not like killing anyone it is basically cheating.  I hate cheaters, but let's face it; they were ALL cheaters.  Getting someone to pay some made up fine because they cheated at a sport is a bit draconian.  We are all upset and I hate the doping, but we need to come clean.  I'm all for a doping amnesty so we can move forward.

They can't sack Riis.  They can only end their relationshop with his company.

I personally believe that it takes people like Riss who cheated the system to make sure that as many doors as possible are closed to the new generation. 

These people know how to get around the system so they should be part of the whatever new initiative is created to stop / slow down the use of drugs in sport (any sport).

e.g like the cops using hackers to get to other hackers etc etc etc

I agree 100%. Very good point!Clap

Agreed on an amnesty period to get everything out in the open, I think that is a good idea and would have a positive (scuse the pun) spin off.

However once the amnesty period is over then the law must be applied to the fullest extent.

Basically all I am saying is that riders must then be severly punished should they be caught ie. pay back your prize money and get the #@$% out of cycling.

I agree Muxman, the whole thing needs to stop (I know, wishful thinking) and we need to nail any guys caught from now on.  I think if you look at the Giro the guys might be taking a doping break!

Hopefully they have learnt, but I think we need the old pro's to come out with the truth.  For cycling's sake.

Gee and we elect old men to make decisions which takes them 85 nuclear bombs and a lifetime.

We manage to do this in 45 minutes over the internet.

I think our suggestion should be rolled out to all sports - it's that simpleClap

Riis is doing, and has been doing a lot against doping in the sport of cycling in his position of DS of CSC. Getting rid of him is actually taking one step forward (for the blood thirsty people), but taking 3 steps back for fighting drugs in cycling today. How will punishing Riis 10 years down the line help cycling today? But use somebody with inside knowledge to fight drugs, because he knows how the mindset works on both sides makes a lot of sense. Let's stop kicking the people who are down and rather get effective ..or rather more effective ways of fighting this problem in cycling.

My opinion is Riis would never have admitted to doping were the doors not closing on him and he felt  threatened.

If he was so honest and bothered about it he would have admitted to it years ago.

Why only now and so suddenly.

Naah, in my opinion it was done under a certain amount of duress. 

He probably though better to admit it, try the moral high ground and lie low, than have his name splashed all over the worlds media as a suspected doper and cheat.  

Things like this never stay behind closed doors forever.

Sooner or later somebody will say something and "thats it" the chicken are home to roost.!

So, do I feel sorry for him?

Had he confessed 10 years ago YES, ......NOW - NO - Not at all, and I too would be calling for his head.