Bike insurance

mark ellis

Also with AF. had a claim beginning of 2009, no problems.

Just remember to insure for what your bike will be worth if you had to replace today.

Have heard of some guys getting their bikes stolen but because they are under-insured they could only replace the frame.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My current insurer wanted R300 pm to insure a R16k road bike and then I'd still have to cover the MTB - sounded too expensive to me. What kinda prices are you guys paying?

For a 16K MTB I had to pay only R160 p/m at Cyclesure - will be in the region of 180 now - price increase from 1 feb 2010.

I stopped my insurance with them and my house insurance must cover bikes while standing there - I'm recovering from my injury so not racing or doing hard training - just casual slow and long rides.

will look at them again in the future when I'm up and running again - in full swing

just got quote from Cyclesure, R30 K bike, all risks for R215 pm, still going to get quote from the guys who do my normal household insurance 

what are your guys no1 reason for insuring bike - all risks ? Talking about out of home - racing/training - not house break etc.

?

what are your guys no1 reason for insuring bike - all risks ? Talking about out of home - racing/training - not house break etc.

?

I insure my bikes for theft from home, for jacking when I'm out riding, and for damage caused by crashing (me into things, or as is more likely the way motorists behaving, things crashing into me...)

Cyclesure has served me well thus far, but I am annoyed with their latest amendment: "we were forced to restrict theft to forcible and violent entry into your residence" which means theft out of your garage or if they break into the house while you are not there is not covered?

I have now gone to look for cover with another insurance company.

JacoCronje2010-01-04 09:37:34

I have had my bike insured with Outsurance. They have been good and I claimed with very good service and quick turnaround. Just got a letter though saying they're increasing my premium by 20% due to claim. After a call to them they say that that's standard practice for them. For every claim, no matter what claim will jack your premium by 20% in the next year.

Just been chatting to Cyclesure and they will insure my bike (with knowledge of my claim) for less than the original Outsurance price (very close though) and they do not increase premiums due to claims.

Cyclesure (brokers = Pedalsure)

ZURICH INSURANCE COMPANY SOUTH AFRICA LIMITED

Bianchi: R35,000 Premie R160.42

Anthem: R30,000 Prtemie R 137.50

Axcess on claim = R250

Including: R 1,000,000.00 Personel Liabillity = Premie R1.00popeye2010-01-04 09:43:01

THAN YOU GET FOR FREE:

Personal Accident - MR. XXXXXXXXXX

Circumstances and compensation

1. Death   R20,000

2. Permanent Disability   R20 000

3. Medical Expenses R10,000

Personal Accident = R30,000popeye2010-01-04 09:47:01

When you do the quote through Cyclesure do you have to specify parts etc?

duringd2010-01-04 09:46:58

Annelize Harding

Tel:             0861 292 537

Fax:            0861 242 925

Email:        anny@cyclesure.co.za

AUTHORISED FINANCIAL SERVICE PROVIDERS Number 3262

Cyclesure has served me well thus far' date=' but I am annoyed with their latest amendment: "we were forced to restrict theft to forcible and violent entry into your residence" which means theft out of your garage or if they break into the house while you are not there is not covered?

I have now gone to look for cover with another insurance company.

[/quote']

The "forcible" I get, that's cool, I mean you need to lock your sh*t up, right? But the violent? WTF? I'd question these guys on that one. You want the short term insurance ombudsman's details?

I'm with Santam.

Pay about R85 per month.

About R12 000 cover.

All Risk Cover which means insurance from any loss or damage at home or out there in the world.

More or less in alignment with other service providers.

smiley12.gif

with cyclesure for my bikes, car and household insurance. only had the best service so far. made a claim in november for my bike and was sorted in 4 daysBig%20smile