Bottle Cages

Flea

Ok, so I am doing the Epic, but cannot use a Camelback (pin in the shoulder rubs, and not enough time to get removed....)

Running a FS so the bike takes only 1 bottle - what are my options?

carry a spare bottle in my jersey pocket - does this work?

put a bottle cage behind the seatpost - gets dirty and does it hold? (i have an XL so space for sadle bag and bottle)

put on one of those triathlon double bottle holders onto the back of the seat - I believe they break and do not allow you to take your bum over the back of the seat for the downhills?

drill into the frame and put on the bottom of the downtube - bottle gets dirty and is your warranty gone?

will 2 bottles be enough for the long stages for someone in the back half of the field? Normally would take a bottle with water and a pack with juice? about 3.5 litres?

Just put more padding on the shoulder?

Any other ideas?

Drilling into the frame would freak me out a bit. On long rides i have always carried a bottle in a shirt pocket without a problem.

I saw someone with a bottle fitted to the top tube (facing up) using the Zefal attachment and it looked good and seemed pretty useful. Use it/Dont use it....... Good luck on the Epic, you got a bigger set than me!!!LOL

There are some pretty trick velcro attachments these days for the top tube. Check that out and maybe make a few small modifications. Other than that, NO for all others except more padding as you said.

In 2009 we got real hot days and the CB saved our butts. I cannot imagine how a person could do this with only 2 bottles? Mayby just me but would seriously consider finding a way to do CB?

Just my 2cents worth

Predictor - that is my problem....I know the top guys get away with 2 bottles, but I do not think someone who rides an XL could...

Will try looking at some way of padding....

Looking for some inovation from the ranks

Flea, how old is your CB? The newer ones (from 2009) had a lot more padding. I have the Scudo and never felt it even on my 5 hour Stellenbosch MTB Challenge.

Normally never a problem - done 1 day Sani, Baviaans, 3 day events no problem. But had a fall earlier this year and the collarbone needed to be pinned. just recently it seems as if something is sticking out and rubbing against the strap - I have an old CB Mule by the way, 2005 about

So just worried about day 4+ - was a bit tender after this weekends riding - 2 days of 4.5 hours

All of the packs seem to have about the same padding etc - anyone know different?

How about one of those fanny pack things that Americans wear when they go further than New Jersey? I've seen them with all sorts of pouches and things and theyr'e designed to sit on your arse. That should be no more sweaty than a SweatyBack. Funny how Americans think a fanny is an arse...ha ha.

OK, I see now that my CamelBak Scudo 99% is identical your 2005 Mule.

I know that since the 2009 range they started adding more padding to some (not all) models. This was more for the basic CamelBaks.

well, Why not put tools in your pockets (I use an old sun glasses pouch for this) then one bottle on your bike, and then two more on one of those tri mount behind the seat things?

Just an idea, however I would worry about loosing the bottles, and I would imagine that by the time you get to the 3rd bottle its probably gonna be piss warm!!!!Confused

Take a 1l bottle (If your frame takes one) and put a small 500ml in your middle jersy pocket. This is how I race always. Drink the small bottle first, then when its empty you dont even feel it., tape your BomB and spare tube to your seatpost and put the rest in your jersy.

When I was looking around at christmas I saw what I think holy is talking about it wouold be perfect like a waist belt with 2 bottle holders bottles and a pouch I think it was in due south or capestorm shop not sure which but was in hiking section