First Dual Suspension

vetkop

I gather you guys are all informed and have great opinions and I know this questions pop-up regularly, but I really would like to make an informed decision on buying my first dual suspension.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What is the best value for money dual suspension for R 16 000? I want to do some long XC races and have fun over weekends with my friends.

vetkop2010-01-15 05:46:35

Don't know what size you require but there's a nice Giant Trance X2 in the for sale section for 16K.

If you could push that to R20k, I would seriously look at a 2010 Scott Spark 40, comes in at 12kg for the medium and has XT spec, 100mm travel.

If you can't stretch that far, look at the Merida One-Twenty TFS 800 D, a little heavier at 13.5kg, but also XT spec, has 120mm travel, retails at R18k.

Or look at a 2009 Giant Trance X3, SLX spec, current specials at R16k

Those 3 bikes, you cannot go wrong!

giant trance, bought mone a year ago and LOVE the bike!

see if you can get your hands on one to test-ride - and some others (anthem?), and see what you like best

cat-i2010-01-15 14:20:44

Also take a look at the Schwinn range, starting with the 405.

The Scott is a killer deal at 20k if you can stretch ti that.

If you chat to Kevin from Cycle Fusion in Weltevreden you should be able to get a good deal (about R18.500) on a Silverback Mercury 2.

Specialize FSR XC comp is about R17500. This is a brilliant dual suspension bike. After my last wipe out broken collar bone and bike is 100%.

Specialized and Merida... Excellent XC full sus'ers

Ditto above on testing ...

And decent saddle and suspension components can make a diff..

See what fits you best

The Mercury 2 weighs in at 13.79kg, not a light bike, and the Specialized weighs in at 14.5kg, also a heavy weight, and specs are SLX and lower on the Mercury and even lower on the Specialized ....not a good package deal IMO, The Scott Spark 40 and Merida One Twenty are good deals.

I got my first DS bike in October 2009, I really wanted the best I could afford.

So I go at second hand frame with bits and pieces, (Spesialized Epic) (2008), fantastic bike, it has the brain suspension.

Paid R10,000 + spent another R7, 000.00 on bits and pieces, and are now at about about R17, 000.00.

Second hand is definately the way to get a great bike if you don't have R30, 000.00 lying around....
andrecapetown2010-01-17 08:13:45

At that price range, I would definitely look for a decent 2nd hand bike. Anthem and Trance are both good bets.

thanks for the input.

a friend recommend that I go for the Merida 96 1000. know it is a bit more, but is it not worth the wait?

would like to hear your thoughts.