Tapered Headset

manbearpig

A few new bikes are coming out with this tapered headset. Obviously now a fork with a tapered head tube is needed. My question is this: Is there a sleeve that can be put over a standard fork so that it will fit the tapered headset? If so what does a sleeve like this cost?

I dont know about a sleeve on the fork but I understand that you get a adapter for the frame. It fits into the bottom of the headtube allowing you to use a std headset and fork in the tapered headtube of the frame.

The fork steerer isn't tapered, so that fork will work in a standard frame as well. With the "tapered" headset the bottom bearing's OD is just bigger, allowing for bigger balls inside.

Thanks for enlightening me Splat.

I made one of my sweeping assumptions after working on two or three Boxxers with straight tubes and reducers in the bottom bearing.

didn;t gary fisher use the old evolution (1.25" instead of 1.125") headset yonks back??

now they're using 1.125 and 1.5" combo's.......my math isn't great but that averages out at gary's idea.....

smiley4.gif