I just have to say....

Capcha

I bought a mountain bike on Tuesday and after being out of the saddle for 15 years, I just have to say that I am loving being back on it. Although my buttocks are seriously sore. It all started at the beginning of the week when I was on the scale and measured 103.6kg when I am meant to be 85kg and knew I had to do something about it. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Day 1 and I thought it was the good old days when I used to race along with Ryder,Moolman,White etc (road)....oh boy was I wrong. I didn?t get far day 1- 4km's; day 2 - 6km's ; day 3 - 8.5km's...bear in mind as I come out my estate I have Suikerbossie to my left and Klapperkop to my right. I stay in a dip. Today was great and used the bike for the first time off road. I went up the steep one, around the back of the estate, across a large open field, through a river(almost lost the bike for a second)through another field and back home. Feeling slightly tight but other than that I feel absolutely great <?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

Just thought I would share that with you guys as my fianc? does not quite understand my excitement but I?m sure you guys would...cheers

exclusive2010-01-21 16:47:46

Congrats exclusive.  I "re-started" in similar fashion about 9 years ago.  Even now if two three weeks go by without me getting on a bike and I get back on it, it is special.  I feel like a little boy who just got a new present.  I take it you live in the Pretoria area.  You should join us with the Bester Cycle group at the Waterkloof Glen centre on Saturday mornings.

Congrats! Its an awesome feeling. I had an amazing ride at Harkerville in Knysna a week ago, rode all the way to the coast through some epic forest singletrack. It was one of those amazing experiences that you just know you will never be able to explain to anyone else.

My first ride at Tokai forest since I broke my ankle 3 months ago ended in a bad fall and I just couldn't find my flow at all, ended feeling disappointed and tired. I went for my second ride today, well I felt calm and just flowed through all the drops, jumps and rocks, had an amazing ride ending with the sunset and a troop of baboons barking at me. Cant wait to conquer Silvermine on Saturday!

Such a great sport and we have such wonderful places to do it in.

Parabola, you really just pissed on my batteries Cry.  I am flying down to Cape Town on Sunday for a week and was trying to pull a move so that I could drive down in order for me to take my bike with.  That failed so I would be there with no bike.

Yes Bateluer, I stay in Centurion. I will take you up on the offer but maybe only in 2 months time once I can get my avg speed and Mileage up a bit. Only avg 11.8km/h today

Parabola' date=' you really just pissed on my batteries Cry.  I am flying down to Cape Town on Sunday for a week and was trying to pull a move so that I could drive down in order for me to take my bike with.  That failed so I would be there with no bike.[/quote']

Pity that, I could have shown you around. So many good mtb trails here, and there are so many I still want to do. If you do drive down sometime, make sure you stop off at Harkerville, its opposite the garden of Eden on the N2 between Plett and Knysna. Fantastic trails, really blew me away.

Aaahhh Parabola that sounds great....except for the ankle thing. I was born and bred in Durbanville so I know the awsome rides you have there. But we have pretty good ones here too and furthe out towards Dullstroom/Sabie.

Yes Bateluer' date=' I stay in Centurion. I will take you up on the offer but maybe only in 2 months time once I can get my avg speed and Mileage up a bit. Only avg 11.8km/h today
[/quote']

Congrats.

I started cycling last year March. Weighed in at over 103kg (should be 80kg) and my health was going downhill very, very fast.

Had a wakeup call when I saw a photo of myself taken in February. I was about to repair my motorbike and decided to spend the money on a MTB instead.

I kaked off the first 100m on my virgin ride. My commute to work was painful and slow - it was a friggin 5km walk to the office LOL LOL LOL

10 months on I'm now 89kg (I eat / drink whatever I want to and don't diet) all thanks to cycling. I suffer from asthma and cycling has helped me a lot.

I commute each day and it makes a difference to my well being. I'm a software developer which means I sit all day. I've also made many new friends through cycling - actually I've not made so many friends since school.

Have fun and cycle safe.

hey, not much to add cos i'm a skinny runt except: GO.FOR.IT!!!!!!!!!!!! exclusive, we gotta get you to groenies. at your pace. go well.

I fully understand your excitment dude,

I was out of the saddle for 10 years myself, got back into riding december last year.  Started out at 107, the scales read 99 this morning, first time in many years that i have been out of the tripple digit club!

I did my first 40km ride the other weekend, got home and was stuffed, slept until the next day, sore but, legs, sunburn but man did i feel alive!!!

all the best for getting the legs back

Quite inspirational guys! And here I am battling to get the last 1.5kg's off to get to 61kg. I also started again just before 94.7 last year after a three year off. Things are looking better every week and I'm hoping to do the Paris-Brest-Paris next year.

I did my first 40km ride the other weekend' date=' got home and was stuffed, slept until the next day, sore but, legs, sunburn but man did i feel alive!!!

[/quote']

Awesome awesome!!

I started Jan last year, first race was Barberton which took me 4:40.  A year later and Im a week away from going back there and showing that mountain whats what!!

i agree, with holy on the skinny runt thing - Im just that aswell, but its not about us. Its about your accomplishment so far in deciding to do the best activity ever - Ride a bike 

But the biggest thing i agree on is going to Groenies and we all ride at your pace. Its sooooooooo much fun there. Added bonus is that its nice n close to you if youre coming from lyttelton side

i wanna be a skinny runt again....

starting out again after a 2 years out the saddle.. weight in at 105.. but at my height i dont look too big