Chain suck

madison

Some suggestions please.

I am experiencing chain suck in my middle chain ring when riding in very wet conditions. I have recently (3-4 rides ago) replaced my middle & big chain rings, chain and cassette. All were replaced round about the same time, so the drivetrain is all new parts. I ride a Giant trance X0, LX crankset (all replacement rings were shimano), SRAM PG970 cassette & PC951 chain.

Thanks  

Now all the people in the white coats are going to tell you that you need to replace it again ! Chain suck will happen in very wet conditions does not matter what you got on ur bike . But some people will tell you that they never get chain suck (like myself) even when crossing the Vaaldam . Now the reason for that is very simple , if you change gears properly that will will go away .

How do you change gears properly? I have been riding mountain bikes for more than 10 years & this is the first bike I have ever experienced chain suck in the middle blade.

Or use a little less lube/wipe more lube off before riding

Is it only when changing chainrings, or does it happen "randomly" during a ride

chech middle chainring for any irregularity that might "hook" the chain

Changing gears properly :

1 . Look ahead and select the right gear for what is lying ahead

2 . Don't cross-chain

3 . When very wet try and limit gear changes . Here I do cross-chain since I would select middle blade and just change at the back when needed .

4 . Don't change gear while you putting stress on the DT . Do a power stroke before changing gears

It has never happenned on a new chain ring, usually on an older chain ring. The problem would then go away once any burrs had been filed off the rings. It was the fact that this started so early on with a new chain ring that got me thinking that there may be something that is causing irregularities on the ring. I always lube as you have described & use finish line wet lube.

I had chain suck with a new chain and new crankset after a major service that replaced a lot of parts. Original crankset was Deore and the replacement was a Truvativ 5d. Chainsuck from the momnet i rode out the LBS when shifting through gears on the front chain rings.

I upgraded later on to a SLX crankset. No more problems. 

Chain suck cannot be avoided unless you ride a fixed gear bike. Even an absolutely new drivetrain will suck under the right (wrong) conditions.

Chainsuck happens when the chainring does not release the chain on the return leg. This can be due to mud or clay inside the chain that grips the chainring tighter than the tension provided by the jockey spring, it could be due to the chain being so stiff that it doesn't want to uncurl as it exits the chainring or, the cause can be more mechanical and be as a direct result of the hook shape of the teeth on a worn chainring.

Chainsuck happens more on smaller sprockets than on larger ones simply because the chain has to articulate more on smaller diameters and the resulting friction of straightening is thus more.

Bad shifting can aggravate an already sucking chain but better shifting cannot avoid sucking simply because it doesn't get rid of the contributing factors.

Its a problem i always experience in wet and mostly muddy conditions. For this reason i always cary chain lube( specificaly the oily type) not the squirt or "dry lube".

I generaly solves the problem till the next river crossing

Chain suck cannot be avoided unless you ride a fixed gear bike. Even an absolutely new drivetrain will suck under the right (wrong) conditions.

Chainsuck happens when the chainring does not release the chain on the return leg. This can be due to mud or clay inside the chain that grips the chainring tighter than the tension provided by the jockey spring' date=' it could be due to the chain being so stiff that it doesn't want to uncurl as it exits the chainring or, the cause can be more mechanical and be as a direct result of the hook shape of the teeth on a worn chainring.

Chainsuck happens more on smaller sprockets than on larger ones simply because the chain has to articulate more on smaller diameters and the resulting friction of straightening is thus more.

Bad shifting can aggravate an already sucking chain but better shifting cannot avoid sucking simply because it doesn't get rid of the contributing factors.

[/quote']

So, in the case of a new chain, cassette & chainring, could the culprit be a worn jockey spring?

So' date=' in the case of a new chain, cassette & chainring, could the culprit be a worn jockey spring?
[/quote']

No. If the drivetrain is healthy and you experience chainsuck, it is purely a function of the gunk you rode through and what is now stuck inside the chain.

Like I said, chainsuck cannot be avoided given the right mud.

I personally would try to take off another chainlink....that way the jockey spring will pull a bit harder (cause chain is shorter) and might alleviate some of the problem - however, mud = chainsuck!!  and that sucks...period!