Tubeless disaster recovery kit?

Justin

Hi all

What do I need to carry along on a race for my tubeless tires?

I just upgraded to a tubeless system, however I still only have my trusted puncture repair kit and an extra tube in the saddle bag along with the pump on the frame.

What else is required?

Get some plugs. Best bet is at a car spares place. Your sealant should handle most of the stuff. This is for bigger cuts. One of those Park Tools boots is helpful as well.

Take a tube, put it in a condom, and put it were I got mine, than forget about it.

The only thing you need when disaster struck, is a pump.

Remove the tubeless valve from your rim, be careful that you dint loose the rubber o-ring,

and put a tube in as on a normal rim.

You can get the plugs (the strings that looks like a shoe lace) for about R50 for 6 strings and the gadget that put it through the tire (that kit cost about R100)

20100128_015434_tube.JPG

You'd be surprised at how big some holes are that you need to patch. Carry a couple smalls and big. Dont take up much space.

I also have one of those little Park Tools patch kits. They are self adhesive and work really well. Had the opportunity of using it for the first time on someone elses bike last weekend. Much better than using that glue. The boot sticks really well so I'm sure it would patch a torn tyre nicely. That's normally your biggest problem when you have a tubeless setup.

Keep your spare tube for cut too big to fix with a boot. Get some plugs for tubeless BICYCLE tyres and some self adhesive boots. I don't carry a pump but have CO2 bombs, 2 on the frame and 2 in saddlebag. Was running too low pressure last week and managed to get a cut on the bead. ~ 30sec to insert plug and inflate with CO2.

Co2 is definitely easier than a pump, especially if the tubeless tyre is deflated after repair.

You also get a tubless reapir kit that works exactly the same way a car tyre punture reapir is done.

If you need to put a tube in to your tyre make sure you check very carefully for thorns etc from old punctures you didn't know about. I saw a top pro rider make that mistake at Hill2Hill a few years ago, with 2 tubes. I t ruined his day and a chance of a podium.

Get a Weldtite Tubeless Puncture Repair Kit. Its the best. If your LBS doesnt stock them tell them they must start to.