MTB Wheelset: Built or stock?

Willehond

Lefty....Cup and cones will eventually wear out. A good quality hub with cartridge bearings will never wear out.

Plus we all know Chris King, Hope, Hadley etc are just way cooler brands than Shimano! Wink

Mud....you having trouble deciding on an avatar?

Thug....good for you!

But Chris King are just way up there in a different league...I'll trade my mom for a set of those...   And whats wrong with my avatar?

Only companies that cannot afford the machinary to manufacture cup an cone bearings sell cartridge bearing supported axle Hubs.

....and another thing!

Chris King actually manufactures their own cartridge bearings because they're not happy with the quality of what's available.

I'm pretty sure manufacturing a cartridge bearing is harder than a simple cup and cone hub, so there Tongue

But Chris King are just way up there in a different league...I'll trade my mom for a set of those...   And whats wrong with my avatar?

Photos and age please.  Wink

Yes, why did princess replace the the prism?

Photos and age please.  Wink

Post a pic of the hubs first...I'm not falling for that one again!ConfusedLOL

I have a set of Kings....tell me about your mother? Wink

No problem with the avatar....but that's like the third one I've seen you using today? Confused

So they are second hand? Then you can forget about my mom. Let me go and speak to my sister..

And back to the topic...do you need to service them often? The hubs that is..

So they are second hand? Then you can forget about my mom. Let me go and speak to my sister..

And back to the topic...do you need to service them often? The hubs that is..

Good....that sounds even better. Don't forget the pic!

According to our local King expert William Keith, a basic strip and lube once a year and a complete overhaul meaning complete disassembly, open and repack all cartridge bearings(they're fully servicable...you can even buy replacement seals) and repacking of the free-wheel body(which is engineering art if you haven't seen the insides in real life) is required every two years. I just had one done.

How often does your sister need servicing....?

Shimano offer a range of either disk or and V-brake wheels at   low prices,

Dt can also offer a Taiwan produced V-brake wheel hand bulit with a choice of spokes at reasonable value.

contact 0861-SHIMANO for details on them

Thanks for all the advice guys!!  Wading through all the opinions on coolness and cartridge bearings, and doing someweb trawling, it seems I am getting a clear picture:

At the entry level I can get a set of sealed hubs, straight spokes and acceptable rims that weigh in at around 2kg for between R1500 and R2000 (built up or stock like Shimano or Mavic Crossrides)

Then as the price goes up the weight comes down and the spokes get butted and double butted, etc.  So for around R3000 to R4000 I can get a nice set of DT Swiss wheels that weigh in at around 1500 grams!  Alternatively I can try to get a set of wheels built for around R3000 as well and see if I can get the weight balanced.  The rest of the wheels seem to weigh in at aroung 1800g for this price range.

At the top end of stock wheels I am getting XTR type rims (and maybe the fancy cartridge bearings on other rims??) that come in at about 1500g as well.  Lots more bling and super stiff and smooth?

As I don't have the budget or the need for top end wheels, it looks like the DT Swiss wheels or custom (my own unique wheels!) that are easy to get repaired - R3000 to R4000.  If I really get strapped for cash, the Mavic Crosland/Crossride or a similar entry level custom set for R2000!

Only companies that cannot afford the machinary to manufacture cup an cone bearings sell cartridge bearing supported axle Hubs.

....and another thing!

Chris King actually manufactures their own cartridge bearings because they're not happy with the quality of what's available.

I'm pretty sure manufacturing a cartridge bearing is harder than a simple cup and cone hub' date=' so there Tongue

[/quote']

Well you see the Chris King "Cartridge bearing" is actually an angular contact bearing  which is not too difficult to manufacture but more expensive, hence CK hubs cost..

With a Shimano XTR hub, you get a cone that is replacable as well as the cup (which is pressed in place). So fully servicable.

And they're so well sealed that youhardly ever need to open them. A service once a year will see them enjoying manyyears of trouble free service. And for the price, you could buy three sets against the Chris Kings one..Clap

The other lovely thing about Shimano XTRhubs ais that they are covered with a 3 yr warranty..

A service once a year will see them enjoying manyyears of trouble free service. And for the price' date=' you could buy three sets against the Chris Kings one..Clap

The other lovely thing about Shimano XTRhubs ais that they are covered with a 3 yr warranty..

[/quote']

I've never even bothered with servicing since I got mine, and they're still spinning smooth as butter.

Nothing comes close to Shimano, in all ways,performance, price and reliabilty and of course the best back up in the country.

s,m

The best thing about XTR hubs is they are cheap and decent.  You start paying through the nose as soon as you move elsewhere (even to DT hubs).

Willehond - do all your checking for price on chainreaction (www.chainreactioncycles.com).  Shipping to SA may even be free if your wheels are expensive enough.  But that DT wheelset is also pretty awesome and a great price.  I got a set of Mavic XC717 rims laced with 32 Revolution spokes and XTR hubs from ChainReaction.  No problems with the wheels - run them tubeless with Joe's (also no problems) and Kenda Kharma/Nevegal tyres (again no complaints).  Only problem seems to be the rider.  Rest works great.

linnega2007-06-19 14:48:40

Nothing comes close to Shimano' date=' in all ways,performance, price and reliabilty and of course the best back up in the country

[/quote']

Well you see the Chris King "Cartridge bearing" is actually an angular contact bearing  which is not too difficult to manufacture but more expensive' date=' hence CK hubs cost..

With a Shimano XTR hub, you get a cone that is replacable as well as the cup (which is pressed in place). So fully servicable.

And they're so well sealed that youhardly ever need to open them. A service once a year will see them enjoying manyyears of trouble free service. And for the price, you could buy three sets against the Chris Kings one..Clap

[/quote']

It's basically the same argument as say, BMW M3 vs Porsche 911. M3 gives similar performance and costs half the price, but any expert will tell you that the 911 is a better car.

As for cost, as with all things in life, the higher you go up the scale small increments in increased performance and quality will cost a lot more.

When I built up my bike I decided that I wanted to use what were in my opinion, the best components available taking into consideration performance, quality, my needs and my desires.

Yes....desire.....Chris King hubs are gorgeous, even more so when you look at them closely and open them up and have a look inside. You might think that's stupid, but I appreciate the incredible amount of attention to detail and the sheer quality of the work they've done.

They're expensive at something like 7k for a set last I heard(I payed much less) but i.t.o quality, they are beyond any doubt the best hubs in the world.

And they carry a 5yr guarentee. Although King generally don't stick to the 5yr guarentee and have been known to replace faulty components on hubs that are years out of warrenty.

Aaaah....I love my Kings HeartBig%20smile

DT Swiss MTB Wheelset with 240s Hubs And XR4.1 Rims

R3,887.02

< =/index.php/product/WH_DT_XC240S. method=post>

An unbeatable level of performance from DT Swiss A fully integrated component package built by the world leaders in wheel technology - ride confident in the knowledge there is no better wheel set available 240s hubs, Aerolite spokes, Prolock hexagonal head black alloy nipples and XR 4.1 rims arranged into a perfectly balanced spoke lacing pattern add up to a super light wheel package

Uses standard DT spares and spokes are replaceable by any cycle shop with wheel building experience - no return to the manufacturer required
Supplied with DT wheel bags.
NB - skewers not included
Weight - 670g front, 820g rear>
This a a special on www.totalcycling.com

I would not mind a set of these.

Are these not on special because they are non disc?