MTB wheel hubs

HowzitChina

Hi,

I have search the forum and cant find anything about this.

I want to put disc brakes on my bike, but my wheels hubs dont support discs, can I buy just the hubs(disc brake compatible) and have a store replace the hubs in my wheel? How much will this cost? I dont really wana buy a whole new wheel set.

ps. My frame and shock both support discs already, just my hubs that dont.

You have to get new wheels. You can't retrofit discs to disc-less hubs.

Just put good pads on your v-brakes and some quality cables and you're all set. No need for disc brakes, they're not a must-have.

I dont want to put discs on my hubs, i want to buy new hubs, that can support discs, and spoke them into my rims. Wana know how much this costs.

I dont want to put discs on my hubs' date=' i want to buy new hubs, that can support discs, and spoke them into my rims. Wana know how much this costs. [/quote']

Sorry China, I misread the post.

Yes, technically you can do it. However, you should really fit new spokes too, and hope that your rims are still good.

Spokes cost R9-50 each and SLX hubs about R1100 a pair (I'm guessing here, the bike shop okes will put me right). Then you still have to pay for labour to dissassemble the old wheel and build the new ones. Wheelbuilding prices range from R50 a pop to R350 plus a wheel. You get what you pay for.

I suggest you start fresh with new hubs, rims and spokes.

Are the different hubs for different spokes/rims?Do I have to buy hubs that will be compatable with my rim/spokes?

Make sure that the holes on your rim (28 or 32 or 36) is the same as on the hub.  Check that the hub at the back will fit your frame  as you do get 135mm or 150mm hub spacings....  The last thing I will do is to check the wear on your rims as you have been running V brakes.....

Yes China, i agree with Justin and JB. Either good pads or new/2nd hand wheels. Dont know what youre willing to spend on disc brake set but if you add the rebuilding of wheels just to get hubs compatible it might have been worth just getting a good 2nd hand wheelset that is already disc comp. Just be patient with these things, before you know you will have overspent! I might have wheelset available later on in the week, DT SWISS 1800 160mm ROTORS, tubeless converted.

I ride with a guy who has Avid V-brakes with decent pads and he stops far quicker than I can with my oldish Avid Juicy 5 discs. The only major difference is stopping when the rim is covered with mud or a bit wet, in which case discs perform much better. V-brake pads are much cheaper as well, the avid pads for my disc brakes are about R270 per brake!

I recently bought a brand-new lightweight Mavic disc wheelset with XT hubs for around R2200, so if you are patient and wait, you can get a good second hand disc wheelset and sell your old one for about the same as it would cost to replace your hubs. 

And if you listen to the three gent suggesting the V-Brake "upgrades" I feel sorry for you ! Unless you got really good and light rims at the moment I would rather looking at getting a complete set of rims .

And if you listen to the three gent suggesting the V-Brake "upgrades" I feel sorry for you ! Unless you got really good and light rims at the moment I would rather looking at getting a complete set of rims .

psssssst, you mean "a complete set of wheels"?

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I am looking now, but only want to get this for winter, when i will need it in the wet/mud.

Looking at the Avid Juicy 7s from CRC, then a 2nd hand wheelset.

Juicy 7s are round R1500, so would like Wheelset of similar price.

Any other brakes/wheelsets u guys can recommend?

Thanks guys!