wierdest thing or common occurance

BrendonMyb

So i get home nice & ealry yesterday & quickly get to into cleaning my bike which got negelcted over the past week for a good scrubbing

take the backwheel off to get into those nooks & crannies but before tha could happen my entire derailer falls like a rock. On closer inspection i see the hangar is still attached to the derailer but not the frame.

Lucky for me ive got the old goose frame still hanging in the garage & poach the old hangar bolt off there.

Think i could have seen my aaalie quite bad should the said hangar lose grip on the frame as the skewer bolts onto the hangar

Anyway what i wanna know is, is this fairly common or just an anomolly

Oh & one more thing, will i be able to buy another hangar bolt from the LBS do you think ?

I'm sure it's just a bolt like any other.

About a year ago I saw that one of the bolts on my roadbike was missing. Lickily I saw it and I have a good relationship with my LBS (where I bought the frame 7 years earler) and he just gave me another one.

no it works like a bolt & nut structure & doesnt screw into the frame but rather into each other through the frame

I think/hope i will be able to get one but it just looks like such a neish bolt that i dont want to buy a new hangar just to get the said bolt

Very common bolt substance (to paraphrase the gormless Alec Erwin) that. Used on chainrings as well. Your bike shop will have some. In the meantime you can liberate one off a crank when its owner isn't looking.

Now I'm no expert but as I recall from my GT  fixie it is one of those narrow chainring bolts (track?) not the normal ones .......

A few years ago I rode all 3 days of the student tour with just my quick release holding the der hanger in place. No problems. The bolt got lost somewhere between Bloem and Stellies.

you wouldn't have to worry about "seeing your aaalie" because the RD wouldn't just fall of as long as the wheel is still on.

Thant only happened once your removed the wheel

I had just redone my road bike with all the paint work being done by cycle art and new Dura Ace components..on my first ride to test the bike the bolt of the derailer comes out and the jockey spins around breaks spokes on the back wheel, scratches the new paint work frame and then gets bent to the extent that i had to buy a new one, luckily the back wheel did not lock up or I would have gone down in style and seen my whatever one sees when you hit the tar.. ..I was lucky on the MTB as the bolt has fallen out twice but the derailer has luckily stayed in position..is there a pattern here..conspiracy theory springs to mind..I think the LBS dude is after my wife when i kick the bucket in a crash Censored