Gels - when to use

mark ellis

Agteros, yes, quite sure it is the Gels. Used it one year with the Ride For Sight, where my preparation was better (good base, structured training program, etc) Cramped like hell, although time was still good/acceptable.

Next Ride for Sight, same route, preparation not so good, NO GELS, brilliant time of just a smidgen over 3hrs over the 118 km route. Could not have gone any faster, as I was part of the leading bunch. NO CRAMPS AT ALL.

Might be in the application, as I do not drink more water when using them, my water usage regimen stays the same. Might be where my problem lies.

The same scenario with 94.7. In 2008 I did not use gels, did it in just over 2:50, NO CRAMPS. Last year used gels, CRAMPS.
Wannabe2010-02-03 14:46:09

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agteros

At least there are times when you do not cramp when on the bicycle... I cramp in any and every road race I do (but then, maybe I should do some cycling training as well?)

One long ride every 2 weeks (and 2 runs a week) will not cut the mustard I guess?

Gets very expensive taking them every 45mins as they recommend...R15 each' date=' times three plus the entry plus the petrol...it all adds up. 

Peanut butter sarnies and an energy bar.
[/quote']

I also do the peanut butter sarmies (peanut butter THICKLY applied). I find that it gives me sustained energy during the rides (as well as during races). If I can, I will have a banana before I start as well since a banana has a very complexed sugar structure which slowly breaks down over a longer period of time - therefore preventing sugar spikes, but sustained energy levels.

I do peanut butter (agree on the thick mortar spread) but also with honey. I make mine with 100% rye (most rye bread is not pure). Woolies is a safe beat and Spar now make 100% rye (same price).

This is great for endurance food.

AJ muti is always with me - just converted a work bud and he will be using it in the Argus. He was totally blown away at how well it works.

On gels, I always carry 2 WASP gels (I like them) just in case and a MuleBar (the best Big%20smile). I also carry halva bar from Mary-Anne naturalway, great at R7.50 a bar. They also make a health bar similar to MuleBar but its smaller (and cheaper).

As I have blood sugar problems, I find eating pronutro with fructose works for me. Then if I take a Gel no issues.

WOW, I think I've finally located the source of my cramps. For the entire season I've been trying to figure out why I've been cramping in races...trying all sorts of anti-cramping stuff. I never suspected the gels were the culprut, but it makes sense when I consider the evidence. In races earlier in the season, where I was averaging about 2...maybe even 3 gels per race I was cramping towards the end. But I've been going very sparingly on them of late, perhaps because they're so expensive...so I haven't been using em unless I really need em. And I haven't been cramping lately. This thread just made me realise that. Lately I've been averaging between 0-1 gel per race without cramps...cant believe this. Could it be this simple?

I have tried taking gels during a race but don't like the hasle of having to tear open the sachet and then getting all sticky whilst consuming the contents. I have been considering mixing a gel with my normal drink mix. Would this be stupid?  Or do you not get the necessary instant benefit because of the dilution effect?

I have tried taking gels during a race but don't like the hasle of having to tear open the sachet and then getting all sticky whilst consuming the contents. I have been considering mixing a gel with my normal drink mix. Would this be stupid?  Or do you not get the necessary instant benefit because of the dilution effect?

Lots of gys mix the gel in plain water.

A gel has the higest form of Calories.

Not sure about a direct link between gels and cramp. When you take a gel it pulls a lot of water into your gut to facilitate the digestion. If you are borderline dehydrated this could tip you over the edge and trigger the cramps. It clearly states on the most gel packaging that I have seen that water needs to be taken with the gel. Hardly anyone does this.

As to the insulin spikes that occur with high glycemic foods: this does not occur during vigorous exercise and it is even possible to take up the sugars without the presence of insulin during exercise.

Some gels, such as Whasp, come in a bottle that you then decant into a little flask. Much cleaner and easier than sachets.

Believe it or not, but I am one of those cyclists that actually forgets to eat or drink while riding.  On the 94.7, I only had 2 small sips throughout the race. 

During the club rides, I take an energy drink and energy bars, most of the time I come back them with untouched.

The guys that I ride with always ask me for bars and a drink.  Sometimes I think that maybe I should risk racing with just 1 bottle and no energy bars. Weight saving, but I have not found the courage to do so in a race.

What about dates (those growing on trees and not those on Friday night)? Many guys i cycle with take a bite from a block of dates during a training ride. Some of them also use the block of dates during a race.