11bar, 160psi

fatcyclist

Ok, so team mate of mine and ANDRE L buys new bike. Comes with Vredestein Fortezza's. He takes them off claiming "I only ride Conti GP 3000's" blah blah...

So now I have a brand new set of tyres. The Fortezza's claim to be able to take 11bar. How safe is this for a clincher? Going to be mounting them on a set of Campy Vento's....

Don't do it - unless you are riding on a glass smooth surface then you will add rolling resistance and completely stuff up any handling/grip.

Even for a big guy like you I would not go over 130psi on a good surface / TT and 120psi for normal CT roads.

Think of it like taking a Ferrari down a jeep track - feels fast as it bounces over the terrian but actuall has very little contact area.

Safety wise you would need to check what the rims will tolerate.

Yeah I was thinking maybe 9bar max. With the SLR carbonio saddle, and XTR seatpost (yes I know its a roadbike you pedants, but I needed something light AND strong), there isn't a whole lot of give smileys/smiley5.gifsmileys/smiley5.gif

You coming to do the Hexrivier MTB BikeMax? It's one of the most stunning rides I did last year, and well worth the time and effort to get there!!

Maybe - have not ridden since WP champs and am still trying to get rid of this sinus thing.

So will see how I go.

BTW, I reckon those Fortezza's kick the GP3000 by miles - no competition.

I'm just going there to enjoy the route (and then for the braai at WW afterwards).. Not planning on racing it at all. Last year I fell in love with the Karoo desolation, especially the old abandoned train stations etc you passed. Just something about the ride that made it fantastic smileys/smiley9.gif

Fatty.

I rode those tyres for a year.  Got almost 9000km on them!  And they can still go!

Had them at 8.5 bar.  I am a lightweight though clocking in at 74kg.

Those are what I use. Pump them to 11 bar all the time with no problems at all.

Had them at 8.5 bar.  I am a lightweight though clocking in at 74kg.
The reviews on the web I find all claim they're best run at 140psi, so I'll try that. I'm a heavyweight, clocking in at around 95-96kg's (depending on what was for lunch smileys/smiley36.gif) so what BikeMax said makes sense. Anything higher will rattle my teeth from their sockets!! smileys/smiley5.gif

Safe for the tyre to go to 160psi, but like Bikemax says a waste of time.  Not sure that the rims would hold (I think they have a 150psi max rating, although Campag is know for underrating the strength of their rims).  Anyway the main benefit of the Fortezza's is they have a very flexible side wall so they feel comfortable without but are still fast.  Pump them to 160psi and the sidewall of any tyre will be rock hard.  I would recommend pumping a little more (10psi) than you usually use on clinchers so that they don't feel too soft when you first ride them.

I ride with them, GREAT tyres.  A few kgs lighter than you fatty.  As BM says, not more than 9, MAYBE 10.  I usually ride at about 8.5, nice hard ride, but still comfortable!  My tyres have 3500 km on now, and still going strong with a LOT more to go!!!!!

hmmmmm....

I now weight 125 kg, and If I dont pump my wheels to 11 bar I feel like I am on the rim. Obviously time for a diet.