Hillcrest & Contermanskloof linkup

dirtman

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Tygerberg MTB club, who operates the Hillcrest MTB trails, and the owner of the Contermanskloof trails have reached an agreement to link the two trails on a permanent basis.

The initial link will be via the jeep track that runs between the masts on the hilltop at the back of Hillcrest and Contermans.

PAYMENT FOR RIDES

An annual permit system is in operation. Riders can also buy the normal day permits.

Day permits

Tygerberg MTB club members: You will need to buy a R25 day permit at Contermans every time you cross over to ride here. Tygerberg members ride for free on Hillcrest.

All other riders:  You will need to buy a full price day permit at both Contermans AND Hillcrest every time you cross over to ride both trails.  This will cost you R50 in total (R25 each for both trails) 

ANNUAL PERMITS

Tygerberg MTB club members pay R300 for an annual Contermans permit and must buy their permits directly from the club. Tygerberg members ride for free on Hillcrest.

All other riders have 2 options: - buy separate permits for Hillcrest and Contermans respectively, or buy a combined annual permit that covers both trails.

Price of permits is as follows:

Contermans alone:  R350 ; Hillcrest alone:  R350  ;  Combined permit: R650

The price will stay the same irrespective of when in the year you are going to buy it.

The permit(s) will be issued in the form of a coloured plastic bike board that will indicate which trails the permit holder is entitled to ride.

HOW TO BUY AN ANNUAL PERMIT

Please phone Adrian Winsor on 072-852 8272 or send an e-mail with your details and the permit(s) you want to buy to mountainbiker@mweb.co.za and <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Adrian will contact you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No map yet, but the link between Hillcrest and Contermans will be signposted from the start of the red route single track on Hillcrest (right at the top at the cross-over).

Link between Majik and Hillcrest via Bloemendal and Nitida is only open to Tygerberg MTB club members.

Why not join us for a ride tomorrow that covers the whole route from Majik to Contermans  - all dirt - see below as per the Tygerberg newslettter. 

It was very popular ride last week, but quite a few couldn't make it, so there will be another member's only guided ride starting from Jip de Jager below the Majik Forest Vineyard Development to the new Hillcrest gate on Saturday 6th Feb starting at 06.00, or join the group en route at 06.15, D'Aria Cellars.  The short ride will do a lap or two of Hillcrest before returing home (20kms +/- 2 hrs) the long ride will carry on over the new temporary crossing to Contermanskloof, do a lap there and head back with an optional one or two laps of Hillcrest (40-50kms, +/- 4hrs). Pace = leisurely. You are welcome to bring non-members, BUT, they are only allowed on the Green Corridor with a club member, they must bring R25 permit fee for Hillcrest (yes, new price) and R25 for Contermanskloof, if going on, but of course, we would really love for them to sign up and become a club member :-)

Sounds very cool.  Ill join the club within the next 2 weeks Thumbs%20Up

But will not be able to make it tmwr, due to sudden bout of the flu.  Would be cool if you could draw a rough map on google earth or something and post route profile as well.  the connection between Hillcrest and Contermans must be quite a climb??

Looking forward to it....

Any other trails in the foreseeable future??

I think that some of the riders doing the ride tomorrow willl have a Garmin to track the route - will see what we can get.

Connection from the Hillcrest side to Contermans not too bad, as the start of the red route ST is quite close to the top of the hill.  We will build a connecting piece of ST from the start of the red route ST across the face of the hill that will make it quite easy to get to the top.  Getting back from Contermans to Hillcrest is quite a climb, especially the last part.  Are also looking at some switchbacks there to make the climb easier.   If enough annual permits are sold, we might look at a link at the bottom of Hillcrest and Contermans, but that will require crossing another 2 farms.

New trails? - we need a break - last year was hectic.  Only joking - we will most likely add about 2 km of ST to the Hillcrest trails  - there are a few areas left where we can do something.

• 1 month later...

need to tag this thread!

when will there be another groupride going over all 3 trails and can i as non-member pay to join such a ride

any discount for amariders ?? ;-)

I think we will have a group ride again after the school holidays.  If you are not a member of Tygerberg MTB club, you need to buy permits at both Hillcrest and Contermanskloof.  My advice is to sign up for the weekly club newsletter  - this will enable you to see when rides are taking place..  Just go to www.tygerbergmtb.co.za.  You do not need to be a member to get the newsletter. 

We have also yesterday started building another 15 km of trails on another farm  - will take about 7 weeks to complete.   Tygerberg MTB club members will ride for free here as well - so it is really a no-brainer not to join the club for R250 per year.  For this R250 you can ride all the way from Majik via Bloemendal and Nitida to Hillcrest and Contermanskloof (you still need to pay to ride Contermans)  and hopefully we will also be able to link the "new" trails to this system, depending on our negotiations with the landowners.     

Sorry, no discount for Amariders

• 2 weeks later...

I went there yesterday and had a ball. It's awesome!!!! Just wanted to know from the people who know. What does the red and green arrows mean?? They are all over the place and its difficult to decide which one to take??? Please help Ouch

I've have only tried the green route and there are plenty of signs. It was quite challenging for me seeing I have limited mtb skills.

I went between red and green. Climbs are very tough!! So should i go on green route for whole way and the on Red route??? How long is the green route??

There are 2 routes on Hillcrest - red and green.  They run together from the start till the you get to the section of tarred farm road (just after the switchbacks) where green goes left and red goes straight up.  If you do the red route, it later joins up with green again before splitting again.

Green is about 7 km and red 8 km.  Green is easier to ride.  The idea is to ride the routes separately, but you can combine them in any manner you choose, as long as you don't ride against the flow.     

I just want to say well done Tygerberg and Hillcrest/Contermans - it is one of the most amasing rides ever - great real MTB stuff - one of the best in the country I rate - it has everything.

Mario

Thanks for the comments Mario - it makes the weeks toiling away at Hillcrest worthwhile.

Just some more info - we have started working last week on another farm in the Durbanville area where we will have another 15 km of trails - at least 8 km will be single track. The trails will be flatter that Hillcrest and easier to ride.  It will take about 7 weeks to build.     

Thanks for the comments Mario - it makes?the weeks toiling away at Hillcrest worthwhile.

Just some more info - we have started working last week on another farm in the Durbanville area where we will have another 15 km of trails - at least 8 km will be single track.?The trails will be flatter that Hillcrest and easier to ride.??It will take about?7 weeks to build.     

can't wait

smiley20.gif