Pro cyclist salary

RAZORBLADE

TongueHi guys

Is there anyone who's got an idea what the monthly salary of a professional cyclist in South Africa is.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, CSA Cyclelab/Toyota Academy or whatever they are don't even get a salary... So at least now you know the bottom figure... Confused Does that make them Pros or just guys riding bikes? OK, nevermind, they "development riders"...

I dont know myself but Ive heard rumours of between R10k - R15k a month excluding endorsements.

Its a rumour!!

I have a few mates that ride for teams and that was about the figure for the entry level rider. Few years back was R3500... But I think u need to finish in the bunch before they will consider taking u on so whats your results like?

I wont stick to the bunch but had something else in mind. I'm starting my own business at the end of the month and was thinking of sponsering    8-10 dedicated youngsters between age 16-20 for a year and then take it from there. 

TongueHi guys

Is there anyone who's got an idea what the monthly salary of a professional cyclist in South Africa is.

I have heard from the guys anything from a couple of grand up to R35000 for the top guys in the country who regularly deliver the goods. If you are starting out you will probably get a few k, literally 3-5, but that is about food, rent and medical aid.

If you are serious about riding pro, best bet is to head to Europe or the US and give it a shot there. But, then you need to hit the ground running and get stuck in. Not easy, I raced in Germany for 3 months and it is hard. Culturaly and socially. Belgium is probably the best place to start out as there are plenty of guys from US, Aus, NZ and other English speaking countries. But be warned, you need to learn how to rides crits, take corners like very few South Africans know how and enjoy the feeling of cobble stones.

US will be better if you are a roadie and want longer races. Not that many in Europe in the entry level pro teams and feeder groups.

2 shirts and a pair of bib pants.
To be shared if you are selected for the Olympics!!!

Very sharp LOL

What business you starting?Im in need of a job so if you have one for me Ill ride for your "Team" Free and Ive had some decent results lately... Almost 24 though...Eish im getting old and unemployment sucks...

I wont stick to the bunch but had something else in mind. I'm starting my own business at the end of the month and was thinking of sponsering    8-10 dedicated youngsters between age 16-20 for a year and then take it from there. 

hey hey hey

im 17....LOLWinkWink wink wink nudge nudge