Question for the Campy gurus

Jules

A question for the campy experts:

Due to my carelessness my Ultra Torque crankset is now missing the safety clip that fits on the drive side, as well as the wavy washer that goes on the left.

There is no noticeable play in the crankset without the washer.

My question is: will I be alright without these parts? What function do they actually perform?

They're there to ensure that the shaft is properly axially located (the washer acts as a spring).

I suspect that the reason you feel no play is simply because friction between the shaft and bearing housing is holding it in place. When you start riding it's likely that the shaft will start to 'walk' relative to the BB and your chainrings will start moving outward. This will stuff up your shifting on the FD.

Yup, a wavy washers acts like a spring when compressed by the nut or screw head.

I don't think your LBS will have any trouble getting some replacements.

(not a guru)

tarboy2010-02-13 16:45:18

Yup' date=' a wavy washers acts like a spring when compressed by the nut or screw head.

I don't think your LBS will have any trouble getting some replacements.

(not a guru)

[/quote']

I have no doubt my LBS will be able to get replacements. But every time I ask them for a price on Campy stuff, I end up losing my breakfast.

Replacement spokes for my Electrons were quoted at more than R500 for four, and they only come in sets of four. A clamp for an Ergolever was R250.

I have done a couple hundred kays without the wavy washer with no noticable problems so far. Hopefully it'll hold out till the next CRC order. It looks like if you buy the BB cups, they come with a wavy washer and safety clip:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35087

Replacement spokes for my Electrons were quoted at more than R500 for four' date=' and they only come in sets of four. [/quote']

I have a couple of Shamal spokes lying around in the garage if you want.  Let me know!

Thanks Spinnekop, took the wheels to JB and it turns out the spokes are not quite as exotic as Campy would like you to think.

He was able to modify some normal spokes and I have been riding happily ever since.

I love Campy, but the spare parts prices from the local agents make my stomach turn smiley11.gif

The heading for this posting is an oxymoron...... a kempekker cannot be what "guru" explains in the dictionary....... especially the last one underlined!!!!!!!!

gu?ru, ghoeroe; leermeester, fundi, (des)kundige, wyse (man).??????

Big H2010-02-15 08:06:51

The heading for this posting is an oxymoron...... akempekker caanot be what guru explains in the dictionary....... especially the last one underlined!!!!!!!!

?

gu?ru' date=' ghoeroe; leermeester, fundi, (des)kundige, wyse (man).??????

?

?
[/quote']

I suppose it was only a matter of time before this topic attracted the gaze of BigH smiley36.gif

Don't forget to show us how you sharpen your cable cutters in the other thread smiley2.gif

Jules, Mad Marc has found some great stores overseas that sell all the intricate spares and parts and are very knowledegable. PM him if you want the details. They even seem to give free advice.

The heading for this posting is an oxymoron...... a kempekker cannot be what "guru" explains in the dictionary....... especially the last one underlined!!!!!!!!

gu?ru' date=' ghoeroe; leermeester, fundi, (des)kundige, wyse (man).??????

[/quote']

I was wondering how long it would take the Osaka anorak to arrive...

The washer is only there to provide a bit of pretension when you tighten up the crank against the BB.

It does not compress completely but it does also prevent you from tightening up the crak against th bearing face. Its a rather import little part

It does not compress completely but it does also prevent you from tightening up the crak against th bearing face. Its a rather import little part

And what's the harm in that? If this was a problem, wouldn't there be a need for one on the drive side too?

because its a spring it provides preload on both bearings snce it is pushing against a stationary wall.

The bearings of a Ultra Torque chainset are press fit to the crank arms and there is no method to provide preload from the outside aka shimano.

campagnolo achieves the preload by fitting a wave washer (spring) between the two bearings.

1 washer is enough.

without it, there is no preload other than that which you used to tighten the crankset and that may be to much.....time will tell

eer no, still on SRAM. Campy nice but SRAM works for me for now.

Have I got the Look? My woman thinks so ;)

Frame goes into production end March so I get it end April, early May.

Mr LOOK going to sort me with a loaner in the mean time. either demo frame or warrantied frame or something,anything but he's trying.