Enthuiziastic beginner

Cycle Gr8

Hey i really need some advise...

I really love the sport for the last few months.  I don't have a bike yet

but have been at a few races and will do anything to start cycling now...

Can someone please tell me what will be the best beginners bike for round about R10 000...  Althouth I can't buy right now i'm fishing around for good quality bikes so if I can save enough i'll be on my way...

For 10k you can get a pretty decent 2nd hand bike if you are a bit patient and search around. Go to all the bike shops that sell 2nd hand abd do some negotiating. Maybe take a friend with who knows his stuff.

Else new, I know there are a lot of guys here on the HUB that will have a lot to offer. From a shop I would think the best value for money at the moment will be a Raleigh. Bear in mind that an entry level helmet and shoes is going to cost about 1k. I would suggest these kind of items you try and buy at places like Chris Wiilemse, Cajees or Solomons as that will save you a whack. You can try on at your LBS and order online if you really have to. Just don't let them know that's what your doing. Chain reaction cycles is the cheapest place if you want to import that I know off.

Otherwise I can offer you a Raleigh RC9000 with campagnola record, chorus, centuar mix with nucleon wheel. 6-7 years old, but I haven't ridden it since 2006 as I bought my Cervelo then. It is currently in PE and have been fully serviced. R8500 and it is yours so that you can still get your shoes and helmet. I wanted R9500 up till now.20100215_164132_Raleigh.jpg

It has a new Columbus Fork on it, saddle is new and the hubs have just been serviced with new bearings. The handle bar is a ITM wingshaped bar and the seat post is full carbon aero. Shifters are Record. It needs a chain of which it can be record/chorus or veloce 10spd.

Toilet roll and holder not included.

Otherwise good luck on saving up and give me a shout if you are interested. 

Was also wondering what the bike's doing in the crapper? Narrow escape??

wait, it is a raleigh, after all?

well, someone had to say itSmile

You can get a Raleigh for quite good value.

What are your goals?
Rather look at the groupset than the frame. A bike with SRAM may be a bit cheaper for the same spec level.
The Break, you are a Champion Hubber! You should know the Couch Rule by now!!!

What are your goals?

Rather look at the groupset than the frame. A bike with SRAM may be a bit cheaper for the same spec level.

The Break' date=' you are a Champion Hubber! You should know the Couch Rule by now!!!

[/quote']

For some people the loo is a couchEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

road or mountain biking?

Has to be MTB, i cant imagine anyone getting that excited about road. scotty2010-02-16 01:00:26

road or mountain biking?

Has to be MTB' date=' i cant imagine anyone getting that excited about road. [/quote']

wise words spoken there Clap

What are your goals?
The Break' date=' you are a Champion Hubber! You should know the Couch Rule by now!!!
[/quote']

I think I had severe spuitpoep that week when I took the photo and so the toilet became my couch for most of the week. I also couldn't wonder too far from it so had to do all my work nearby. LOL

Definitly road bike...  I already have shoes, helmet the works... All i need now is the bike.  But i got stuck with the money so i'm in a tight spot.  My goals... Well a few people i know are quite serious about cycling.  I just got out matric and gave up rugby and cricket because of practicing times intervering with varsity classes.  So I'm very competitve and really want to take up this sport seriously...  But yea cant start without a bike.  Thanks for your replies guys...Ouch