Electric Shimano MTB Groupset

Guest Big H

I have not read the article on the elctric shift for MTB but I did read the one on the roud shifters. I know that they said that this thing will only allow a shift to happen if it is safe to do so. As not to dammage the drivetrain.

I think MTB'ers in general sometime need to change gears weather it is safe to do so or not.

If I want to change gears, I want to change gears. The last thing I need is for something else in this life to tell me what I can and can not do!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a pukka Shimano groupset and is based on the Di2 Dura Ace groupset and converted for MTB use by Jason Woznick of Fair Wheel Bikes in Tuscon Arizona and reported in the e-book Mountain Bike Action I buy from www.zinio.com Motors have been sealed and made waterproof. I like the little motorised indexing on the first picture. Could be a very handy accessory on Tandems.

Will never work!!!!!!!!!

As soon as that red light goes on the rhinos and elephants will chase you!!!!!

Far too dangerous!!!

Will never work!!!!!!!!!

As soon as that red light goes on the rhinos and elephants will chase you!!!!!

Far too dangerous!!!

Hier by my is nie meer sulke goetters nie...... net area boys en armed robbers. Die armed robbers is net ook maar area boys wat grootgeword het. Heel moontlik ook hulle wat die oolefante en arnosters vermoor het..... klink amper soos daar by julle!!!!!!!! 

There goes sh*tmano - throwing their name away again - what next they gonna try - seems like they got big issues coming up with an 11 speed without stealing the Campy design. So their design students spend all their time playing nintendo wi and coming up with bullsh*t ideas like this.

They should leave this type of thing to the pros and focus on fishing reels

There goes sh*tmano - throwing their name away again - what next they gonna try - seems like they got big issues coming up with an 11 speed without stealing the Campy design. So their design students spend all their time playing nintendo wi and coming up with bullsh*t ideas like this.

Campy still perfecting their mtb groupset? There was one once I believe.

You must get really tired jumping to all those conclusions - perhaps you should read the thread of the article - it's a Di2 gruppo that some dude has modified to fit on a mtb - not a Shimano sanctioned product at all...

Di2 AND a fantastic mountain bike gruppo versus adding ONE extra gear to their groupset - I'd have to say 2-0 to Shimano.

The only Campy design worth anything is the quick release!

No not at all they perfected the road gruppo's instead. However they do have the most advanced MTB or known as flat bar products on the market today. And i've yet to find any MTB competitor to come close to the quality

?

Campy still perfecting their mtb groupset? There was one once I believe.

Imagine how long that ride will be. They will stop every 10 meters and wipe down the parts with a special Camp Magnolia shammy. smiley36.gif

No not at all they perfected the road gruppo's instead. However they do have the most advanced MTB or known as flat bar products on the market today. And i've yet to find any MTB competitor to come close to the quality

Indeed - they came up with brilliant ideas like indexed shifting, sealed bearings, sealed cables, 7-8-9 and 10 speed, integrated shifters, shaped chainring and cassette teeth...oh wait...that wasn't them....

Campy came up with such wizard designs a delta brakes *shudder*

Aaaaggg you know what - they're both great groupsets - we can go round and round this merrygoround again and again. I just get miff when you have an unjustified tilt at Shimano cos you're Campebefok!

You must get really tired jumping to all those conclusions - perhaps you should read the thread of the article - it's a Di2 gruppo that some dude has modified to fit on a mtb - not a Shimano sanctioned product at all...

Di2 AND a fantastic mountain bike gruppo versus adding ONE extra gear to their groupset - I'd have to say 2-0 to Shimano.

Maybe one should study up the history of bicycling gearing systems and who invent what, before one enters a debate or posts a chirp.

most of what we use on road bikes today comes from the Campy designers and copied by the likes of sh*tmano.

Maybe one should study up the history of bicycling gearing systems and who invent what' date=' before one enters a debate or posts a chirp.

most of what we use on road bikes today comes from the Campy designers and copied by the likes of sh*tmano.
[/quote']

Or one could cut and paste from a variety of sources:

The first successful indexed shifting system was the Shimano Index Shifting or SIS, introduced in 1984 on the 6-speed Dura-Ace racing groupset

Not surprisingly, nothing earth shattering shows up between 1910 and 1930, until Tullio Campagnolo begins to influence the industry. There seems to be another period of relative inactivity in the 1950s and 60s but this was followed by the bicycle boom of the 80s led by Japanese and American companies and which spawned the high-tech machines of today. Trickle-down of the technology means that sophisticated bicycles can now be had for relatively modest prices.

[edit] Ultra-Torque FAIL!!!!!

In late 2006, Campagnolo introduced an outboard bearing design called Ultra-TorqueTM, which has each crank arm permanently attached to halves of the axle (called semi-axles) which then join in the middle of the bottom bracket with a Hirth joint and a bolt.[4]

Octalink

This system, designed by Shimano, was the first successful alternative to the older square taper

Maybe one should study up the history of bicycling gearing systems and who invent what' date=' before one enters a debate or posts a chirp.

[/quote']

I used to use Shimano. Now I use SRAM. I have nothing against Campy but just don't like that little level they have sticking out the side of the brake hood. So for me it is a personal preference. But I don't say that Campy is cr@p or bash them.

Why do you just simply bash another product? It is like me bashing you just because your name is Marc.

[/quote']

I"m sure we can both dig up volumes of info on who did what first but there is no disputing the fact that Shimano was first to market with succesful and affordable indexed shifting, dual control levers and 7-8-9-10 speed systems.

If it was left to Campy we'd still be riding 6 speed friction shifers with Delta brakes and we'd be penniless.

I used to use Shimano. Now I use SRAM. I have nothing against Campy but just don't like that little level they have sticking out the side of the brake hood. So for me it is a personal preference. But I don't say that Campy is cr@p or bash them.

Why do you just simply bash another product? It is like me bashing you just because your name is Marc.

And there you have the difference between passion and fanaticism - personally I'd happily ride Red, Record or Dura Ace. I prefer Dura Ace cos I know all the ins and outs and can pretty much repair anything Shimano has ever made. Plus I have the complete tool kit so moving to Campy or SRAM would be silly.

Me - I just take Shimano attackes personally and end up bashing Campy as a results. Guess I sould tackle the player not the game. My bad.

Mad marc......how does it feel to have your kempekkernoglia besotted mind slapped around like that!!!!!!! Thanx other Hubbers doing that and asving me the hasle!!!!!!!