Mountain Bike help for Roadie

Chopper01

If you have the budget, buy a FS. A good frame should be your 1st priority, 2nd is a decent shock, 3rd look at the wheels. Strong, light and decent hubs. All the rest is Bling that you can replace when they wear out. As to the SRAM vs shim question. I recently switched my shifters and dereulleu from XT to a X0 Shifter X9 rear der combo. The SRAM stuff is way better and is more bang for your buck.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2c:

If at all you can do a FS - MUCH MUCH better. Handles better, climbs better, descend better.  just no comparison

New is better, but you can get good bargains on 2nd hand bikes. Only problem is that if it was misused, you'll end up paying...

SRAM. Shimano is good, but the function and feel and reliability of the SRAM (I have X9 throughout) is just awesome.

Hopithelps.

I'm not sure when the next one will be, but the "ride before you buy" days that are held are great for someone looking to get a mtb as that way you can feel which one you like.  Its a very personal thing when it comes to a mtb.

Living in Stellenbosch, you have Jonkershoek just down the road and for a place like that, a full suspension is much more fun.

Sram vs Shimano, I much prefer the Sram and have had less, actually no problems with it.

If I was you, that merida would be high up on my list. I myself ride a hardtail with sram x0, but thats mostly because I cant afford a good, light full susser. I like my sram, works very well, but the XT on the merida is also very good.

You can get an excellent used Cannnondale (or other good brand) full suspension for under R20K, okay it might not be Carbon frame but so what. ?Probably Shimano XT groupset which is fine, and you can upgrade the bits as you go along. I installed SRAM X9 mainly because I like the twisters (X0), and updated other bits on my 2005 Cannondale Scalpel which I am very happy with.

Getting good times in races is more about you than the bike imho. Dont over-invest. Also you wont get a lemon here.

?

Don't be a ponz, ride a ht.

If you ride campag, then I would suggest sram.

I also ride campag, and recently switched my mtb gears to sram from shimano.

I would suggest sram gears. XT brakes are decent enough.

If you ride chorus, then I would say that's about equal to sram x9 components and shimano xt

Im a hardtail guy but as a roadie for casual ridind a dual sus might suite you better.  More comfort and control and less fatigue.

Try the merida 96 1000d alu, good value or the giant anthem/trance(100mm sus) bikes, also well priced.  Rather go for alu than carbon.

Remember to also budget for mtb shoes (try the olympics, cheap an chearful) and pedals, try the eggbeaters, work great in mud.  Also a tubeless conversion is a must to avoid loads of punctures. 

Thanks for all the help. I a looked at that Merida on the hub, but I do not have the money right now. I am still a student so I have to have a good chat with the old man first. I am starting to get the feel for things now. Most people are going for the FS in the FS vs HT and SRam wins the groupset battle. Now what about Fox vs Rock Shox? (Rock Shox obviously come from Sram, so is it Rock Shox then?)

Thanks for all the input everybody...

Okay lets get this thing right.

Firstly, if you want RESPEK you buy a steel frame.  (OnOne is good)

Secondly ditch all thought of gears.  You only really need one.

THirdly, shocks are for old people, the younger you are the less you need them. (that I have two).

Fourthy, in MTB everything you learnt on the road is wrong.

So if you want a fast learning curve go single speed HT, with a cheap front shock.  Yes you will fall hard and often, but that is how you learn.

Remember scars trump tattoos.

ALTERNATIVELY

buy a dual suspension, and you will ride over everything as if it was tar).  Entry is about R13000 and can climb for ever.  Just remember mtbkers don't like posers so rather start small and upgrade with your ability than pitch with a R50 000 bike and have a epic wipeout every 500 meters.  (leave that for the SS boitjes).

DONT go for a single speed as your first bike!

Now the I know you're a student, I would rather recommend a hardtail as you are still young. If you start out with a hardtail you will develop a better set of skills than if you start out with a full susser.

My bike = hardtail, sram x0, rock shox reba. I'm happy with all of it. I think when it comes to fox vs rox its quite a close battle. Rock shox are cheaper and easier to service though... Rock shox is made by sram, as is most of the rest of my bike - sram, rox, truvativ and juicy... haven't had much of a problem with any of it.

DONT go for a single speed as your first bike!

Now the I know you're a student' date=' I would rather recommend a hardtail as you are still young. If you start out with a hardtail you will develop a better set of skills than if you start out with a full susser.

My bike = hardtail, sram x0, rock shox reba. I'm happy with all of it. I think when it comes to fox vs rox its quite a close battle. Rock shox are cheaper and easier to service though... Rock shox is made by sram, as is most of the rest of my bike - sram, rox, truvativ and juicy... haven't had much of a problem with any of it.[/quote']

That was until you rode with me LOL

mtb Josh is spot on!  I developed great technical skills(relative to the average mtb) on my hardtail.

You will learn to respect the dirt and get a VERY good feel for loose stones, mud and slimy rocky climbs on a hardtail. But buying a hardtail for developing this skill only is a total waste of money! Buy a dualie and then train on it the first couple of rides with the rear sspension locked out.

Then when you move to full suspension you will then apreciate the sudden extra traction on climbs especialy when your bike is dialed right and how you sudenly float over the gnarly stuff whilst still being in control!

Otherwise i would say everybody gave pretty good advice in this thread.

Or simply

Well I supose

DONT go for a single speed as your first bike! Now the I know you're a student' date=' I would rather recommend a hardtail as you are still young. If you start out with a hardtail you will develop a better set of skills than if you start out with a full susser. My bike = hardtail, sram x0, rock shox reba. I'm happy with all of it. I think when it comes to fox vs rox its quite a close battle. Rock shox are cheaper and easier to service though... Rock shox is made by sram, as is most of the rest of my bike - sram, rox, truvativ and juicy... haven't had much of a problem with any of it.[/quote']

?

That was until you rode with me LOL

Ja, its all your fault! Na, the brakes seem fine, just sprayed some Q20 in the pistons and it hasn't done it again. The fork was just due for a service, works perfectly now. The frame however is fsmiley35.gifed smiley19.gif but I cant afford a new one for now, so hopefully it wont break apart when I'm doing 60km/h. mtb_Josh2010-02-21 07:47:57

Don't get a HT, you will end up changing to a FS in a couple months. These days FS perform as well as a HT on climbs, and outperform HT on the downhill. The Lighter the better. SRAM X0 is brilliant.

Go 2nd hand, there are hundreds of bikes on the hub or gumtree and you can pick up a good deal for R20k. Negotiate hard, 2nd hand bikes do not hold their value. Go for a XC or XC/Trail bike. Good climbing and good downhill.

Read reviews on the web on the units you?re looking at. Everyone has a difference preference for bikes so you need to find the one that suits you best.