Advice on new road tyres

virgo

On the MTB I've been running Maxxis Crossmark and Monorail. Couldn't destroy any of these yet, no matter what. The Monorails feel much faster than the Crossmark and grip is excellent.

On the road I presently run Michelin Krylion Carbon on Campy Euros for training and racing. My wife rides on the Lithion. Both offer excellent grip, longlivity and puncture resistance. Tried the Michelin Pro3, a beautiful ride but it tends to pick up stuff from the road, especially in the wet...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Virgo...the tyres you need are called 'Serfas Seca' folding tyres. They have a flat protection system' date=' they have excellent grip with a softer compound on the side for grip when taking corners, they only weight 215g and can be pumped to 9 bars which means less rolling resistence. And they're only R230 each at CWC.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/serfas-seca-rs-folding-road-tyre-2010

I sound like a salesman, but I bought them and love them. You wont regret it. Read the reviews at bikereview.com, the best set of reviews I've ever read. Forget gatorskins...they are heavier and more costly and I you still get punctures with gators. I'm sure you will eventually get punctures with these...but I haven't had 1 yet, been using em for a few months now. [/quote']

I also bought a pare of SERFAS Seca RS tyres and they are great as Slipstream advised and I also love them. They are light enough to race on and use for training. Cannot comment on milage as I have only done about 400km on them

The other tyres I loved was Vittorio Rubino Pro Slicks. I did about 8500km's on them with one puncture. I am just not sure If you can get them locally as I have tried but failed. Managed to get a set from an imported bike where someone went for Gatorskins. They also weigh about 220g.

Keep in mind, that Continental has released a new tyre for 2010 - the Gator Hardshell, which has even more puncture resistance then before, just been reading some reviews and the guys are very impressed

Not sure if available in SA yet, but on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49762 (no stock at moment, apparntly very popular from the reviews)

According to

Continental, the Gator Hardshell was developed in response to demands

from commuters, as well as racers, for a tyre that was even more

puncture resistant than the standard-setting Ultra Gatorskin. What it

has produced is a tyre with an even wider Poly-X breaker belt (the layer

between the tread and the casing to protect against punctures) a tough

Duraskin layer that covers more of the sidewall, and even more material

in the tread layer itself.

All this extra

material makes for a tyre that is just over 10% heavier than the

Gatorskin but, Conti says, even more puncture resistant.

mercurystorm2010-03-03 07:33:46