Advice on new road tyres

virgo

Not sure what they did with their compound on the Diamantes or the Rubino, but it is far superior to anything I have ridden.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at Maxxis Zenith Hors Category foldable tyres.

RRP is R289 (well here at ManiC Cycles in Worcester anyway...) Wink

The are pretty light, have extra puncture protection layer, foldable (so easy to put on / get off) and as a bonus they give excellent milage.

Great all round racing & training tyre without breaking the bank.

Good point. I've changed my Maxxi's before. Would they be easier to change than the Gators?
It depends on your rims. I once snapped a tyre lever trying to get Gatorskins onto a Campag Scirroco rim. I don't even need a tyre lever to get the exact same tyre onto some Mavic Open Pros.

I destroyed 2 Gatorskins trying to but it on DRC rims. Fitted fine on Mavics.

I cant believe that you need tyre levers to fit clincher tyres, put a little air in then work your way round and they slip quite easy.  

Spend a bit of cash and buy yourself some Vittoria Diamante Pro lite tyres from CRC. They last ages and are an awesome racing tyre. You will not be dissapointed in these. Gatorskins are not good for racing at all as they are a very slow tyre.

I got Vittoria's' date=' and have been very happy, Ive had them for 14months and have never had a puncture on my roadbike, and I train and race with them. Ok I dont weigh a tonne but still. does all their tires have the dual compound feature?
[/quote']

vittoria rubino's work like a bomb. 

Maxxis Detonators. They are dirt cheap, last forever and have very good puncture protections. You get wire bead and foldable types.

Not sure how light or how good their rolling resistance is, but if you consider their price versus Gatorskins, they are worth it.

I cant believe that you need tyre levers to fit clincher tyres' date=' put a little air in then work your way round and they slip quite easy.  [/quote']

I would've been better off with a crowbar for my Scirrocos Tongue

Have a look at Maxxis Zenith Hors Category foldable tyres.

RRP is R289 (well here at ManiC Cycles in Worcester anyway...) Wink

The are pretty light' date=' have extra puncture protection layer, foldable (so easy to put on / get off) and as a bonus they give excellent milage.

Great all round racing & training tyre without breaking the bank.
[/quote']

That's the ones I have on currently Wink

Hey Scotty, if you can fit a gatorskin with wire bead with your hands to even 3 of 10 different sets of rims I will buy you a set.

Reminds me of the guy who tried to beat the Break these Ligthweigth rims with your body and we will give you a set.LOL

Gatorskins although being bombproof must be the slowest and most user unfriendly tyres on the market.

Virgo...the tyres you need are called 'Serfas Seca' folding tyres. They have a flat protection system, they have excellent grip with a softer compound on the side for grip when taking corners, they only weight 215g and can be pumped to 9 bars which means less rolling resistence. And they're only R230 each at CWC.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/serfas-seca-rs-folding-road-tyre-2010

I sound like a salesman, but I bought them and love them. You wont regret it. Read the reviews at bikereview.com, the best set of reviews I've ever read. Forget gatorskins...they are heavier and more costly and I you still get punctures with gators. I'm sure you will eventually get punctures with these...but I haven't had 1 yet, been using em for a few months now.

Virgo...the tyres you need are called 'Serfas Seca' folding tyres. They have a flat protection system' date=' they have excellent grip with a softer compound on the side for grip when taking corners, they only weight 215g and can be pumped to 9 bars which means less rolling resistence. And they're only R230 each at CWC.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/serfas-seca-rs-folding-road-tyre-2010

I sound like a salesman, but I bought them and love them. You wont regret it. Read the reviews at bikereview.com, the best set of reviews I've ever read. Forget gatorskins...they are heavier and more costly and I you still get punctures with gators. I'm sure you will eventually get punctures with these...but I haven't had 1 yet, been using em for a few months now.

[/quote']

Saleslady showed these to me yesterday, but having never heard of them before, I declined. Will definitely keep those in mind as well.  Thanks ;-)

Spend a bit of cash and buy yourself some Vittoria Diamante Pro lite tyres from CRC. They last ages and are an awesome racing tyre. You will not be dissapointed in these. Gatorskins are not good for racing at all as they are a very slow tyre.

I got Vittoria's' date=' and have been very happy, Ive had them for 14months and have never had a puncture on my roadbike, and I train and race with them. Ok I dont weigh a tonne but still. does all their tires have the dual compound feature?
[/quote']

vittoria rubino's work like a bomb. 

I just ordered some from CRC on your recomendation, I ran other Vittoria's before and Im still happy, I hope they are good. I only got the wire bead, the kevlar was sold out. But If you arnt getting flats then you shouldnt need to take them off right.

I tink you should get a foldable tire rather than a wire bead on. the gatorskins with wire bead are difficult to fit but puncture proof. I bought me a set of the foldable ones for my tandem and they roll well.

Hey Scotty' date=' if you can fit a gatorskin with wire bead with your hands to even 3 of 10 different sets of rims I will buy you a set.

Reminds me of the guy who tried to beat the Break these Ligthweigth rims with your body and we will give you a set.LOL

Gatorskins although being bombproof must be the slowest and most user unfriendly tyres on the market.
[/quote']

Fitted on rims i've used, Mavic open Pro, DRC, Easton Circuit, Easton EA70, Scott and Alex, somehow on  group rides i always end up helping to fix punctures (even done some male hubbers) and never had to use tyre levers.Big%20smile

If you decide on the Gatorskins then definitely go for foldable. They are a little bit more but they are relatively easy to fit.

Remember, they are directional, so make sure they are fitted the right way round!