First Argus

ASmit

Hey all the cycle lovers. Big%20smile

<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

i'm 19 years old

i just started cycling last year. My biggest event up to date was the 94.7 which i completed in 5 hours. it will be my first Argus this year and I?m a bit scared. I?m not that experienced on the road yet!!

If you have any tips please let me know. 

CYCLE-BABE

cycle-babe2010-03-04 01:31:04

The big thing about the ARGUS will be the number of cyclists around you.Do not do anything silly like looking behind you/crossing the path of another cyclist/dropping your bottle etc etc.

Also,remember to pace yourself,it is a long ride with a number of pretty steep/long climbs.Keep hydrated by drinking enough.

Just get out there and enjoy the experience.Gautengers generally are not used to wind,so beware if it is blowing on the day,it can cause its own problems.Try and ride in a bunch if you can-you can save up to 25pc of your energy by doing so.

See you there and enjoy.

Cycle-Babe - just approach the Argus the same way as you approached the 94.7 and you will be fine. In my opinion the Argus is easier than the 94.7 so you should be fine. The two events are very similar, especially in terms of the start with the double row of pens so you are used to that. Just relax, ride safely and enjoy the ride!

Yes, its easier than the 94.7 if the wind is not blowing!

Some big climbs but very scenic so its all good ( wind permitting)

Good luck!?

?

The only weather condition I have not done the Argus in is snow. Done the heat, rain and wind and each time I have enjoyed it. It is a beautiful route and the support is awesome. Take time to enjoy the scenery and the massages along the way. Lap up the atmosphere and you won't even realise the km's passing by.

The racing snakes will take the risks to improve times no matter what the weather conditions but they normally way up ahead. Just be careful on the down hills, they can be pretty fast and towards the end people are tired and don't concentrate.

Like everyone will also tell you is enjoy it. I think it is the best road race in SA.

The only weather condition I have not done the Argus in is snow. Done the heat' date=' rain and wind and each time I have enjoyed it. It is a beautiful route and the support is awesome. Take time to enjoy the scenery and the massages along the way. Lap up the atmosphere and you won't even realise the km's passing by.

The racing snakes will take the risks to improve times no matter what the weather conditions but they normally way up ahead. Just be careful on the down hills, they can be pretty fast and towards the end people are tired and don't concentrate.

Like everyone will also tell you is enjoy it. I think it is the best road race in SA.
[/quote']

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of snow though. It is the Argus and it is Cape Town so anything is possible. Last year was a freak wind supposedly so this year we may just get a freak snowstorm! LOL

freak wind? lol

Thats wind blows way too often, I used to live in Vredehoek facing Devils Peak so can testify to that. The only thing worse than that is when its carrying rain which hits you horizontally, otherwise known as the Black South Easter, but thats normally a winter thing. Then there is the Berg Wind, thats not so pleasant either but lets take it as it goes, I have been honing my drafting skills and hope to ride with the tandem bunch.

freak wind? lol

Thats wind blows way too often' date=' I used to live in Vredehoek facing Devils Peak so can testify to that. The only thing worse than that is when its carrying rain which hits you horizontally, otherwise known as the Black South Easter, but thats normally a winter thing. Then there is the Berg Wind, thats not so pleasant either but lets take it as it goes, I have been honing my drafting skills and hope to ride with the tandem bunch.

[/quote']

Yeah, I know there is always some form of wind in Cape Town. But from what I heard the wind we rode in last year was the worst that the Argus has ever had and certainly the worst that I have experienced in the Argus.

This will be my 7th Cape Argus. All I can tell you is enjoy it, its the most awesome ride. Just sitting on the side lines all those years ago got me to take up cycling. The atmostphere and the scenery are absolutely fabulous. Whether you do it in 3 hrs or 5 just enjoy. And for the record 94.7 was much harder.

Have a safe ride!!

Its eiter going to be windy or a scourcher (depending on your seeding)

I hope that somehow jinxed it, so that it will now be cool and no windWink