mtb tyres

1 of 1

i'm new to the hub, so i would just like to say a big hello to everyone. and hopefully you techie guys can help me out.

i'm in the market to replace my tyres on my mtb - Double D (daul, disc's)and the hubby says

schwalbe nobly nics

but i'm looking at

maxxis crossmarks

i'm not a crazy person on the down hills. but i want something with great traction and is good in mud....

which is a better for me

StarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStar

The nobby nics, have better traction and are better in the mud, also check out the Conti Mountain Kings, also great all round tyres.

crossmark + mud = see your a$$ without a mirror smiley36.gif

great tires, but not in the mud.

definitely go with the Nobby Nicks or as Techguy said the mountain kings.

i have seen enough mud.... this wet season to last my bum a long time..... i'm interested in the conti's will go and have a look .... any more advise ..... i'm doing my first giants castle race ... so i did something GOOD

Crossmarks not the best in mud but a great all round tyre that wears very well. What do you have on presently and how do you rate them? You have been given good advice above but time and you riding your own tyre choice will be the true test.

Good luck and welcome to the hub.

I have gone through a similar exercise as yourself end of last year, and I ended up buying Maxxis Monorail LUST for the front (they have good traction) and Maxxis Crossmark for the rear (lower rolling resistance). The main reason I went for the Maxxis, is purely durability. The Maxxis LUST versions are renowned to be as tough as nails with minimal sidewall cuts and long tread life.

Now, one thing you'll see on the Hub is that the choice of MTB tyres is quite a personal one Wink

This tyre combo works really well for me and I have also been battling through quite a bit of mud, and they have done really well! Just a suggestion.

i've got kenda nevergolds on at the moment... but that wasn't by choice... they came with the bike ... and have lasted me 3 years

I can recommend the Geax Saguaro's for good grip and durability. Priced fairly well too.

I have gone through a similar exercise as yourself end of last year, and I ended up buying Maxxis Monorail LUST for the front (they have good traction) and Maxxis Crossmark for the rear (lower rolling resistance). The main reason I went for the Maxxis, is purely durability. The Maxxis LUST versions are renowned to be as tough as nails with minimal sidewall cuts and long tread life.

Now, one thing you'll see on the Hub is that the choice of MTB tyres is quite a personal one Wink

This tyre combo works really well for me and I have also been battling through quite a bit of mud, and they have done really well! Just a suggestion.

I'm with Charvel on this, rode this combo at Sani and didn't lose out to anyone in the mud, my teammate saw his nana in the same mud on Conti mountain kings. My opinion is that tyre pressure and fork/shock set up and technique is more important than the actual rubber. Buy what makes you confident.

I have gone through a similar exercise as yourself end of last year' date=' and I ended up buying Maxxis Monorail LUST for the front (they have good traction) and Maxxis Crossmark for the rear (lower rolling resistance). The main reason I went for the Maxxis, is purely durability. The Maxxis LUST versions are renowned to be as tough as nails with minimal sidewall cuts and long tread life.

[/quote'] I'm with Charvel on this, rode this combo at Sani and didn't lose out to anyone in the mud, my teammate saw his nana in the same mud on Conti mountain kings. My opinion is that tyre pressure and fork/shock set up and technique is more important than the actual rubber. Buy what makes you confident.

Did you mention that your Nana destroying partner is a roadie that hasnt stop moaning about the mud for four days....LOLLOLLOL

In any race there will be some mud but not the entire route. So buy good cross country tires and take it easy in the thick mud. apperently thinner tyres are better because they cut through the mud to the hard stuff underneath instead of floating and sliding on top of it.

I did the Sani 2 c int muddy conditions on 2.0 maxxis Larson mimo's without a single slip and they are XC tyres.

Conti Mountain King is the best, got the Nobby Nic 2.2 upfront and a MtbKing 2.4 at the back, rock on!