What now after all the black armbands were worn???

Guest Big H

What I would like to know is' date=' when will "they" commit to change? If cyclists are comitted to change and starting to do things "right" what is the other side going to do, and how will "they"? help without participation from BOTH sides this will be a waste of time

[/quote']

I was amazed at how many cyclists blatantly ignored the rules of the road as I cycled back to car after the race. On the one day when all attention is focussed on cycling and we are going to such lengths to wear black armbands the fact that some cyclists would jump traffic lights or ride abreast on roads that weren't closed to traffic astonishes me.

Maybe the motorists are right? Maybe we are to blame?

(I wore black socks, and now have an awesome sock tan halfway up my calves.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was amazed at how many cyclists blatantly ignored the rules of the road as I cycled back to car after the race. On the one day when all attention is focussed on cycling and we are going to such lengths to wear black armbands the fact that some cyclists would jump traffic lights or ride abreast on roads that weren't closed to traffic astonishes me.

Maybe the motorists are right? Maybe we are to blame?

(I wore black socks' date=' and now have an awesome sock tan halfway up my calves.[/quote']

That is exactly my point. Everyone makes this massive gesture and plays the part of the concerned cyclist, but then after the event forgets the whole cause.

Was there something at the Expo asking people to wear them?

CSA sent me a sms 20:00 on saturday night reminding me of the black armband issue

Guest Big H
Was there something at the Expo asking people to wear them?

CSA sent me a sms 20:00 on saturday night reminding me of the black armband issue

The advantage of being liscenced!!!!!ClapClapClapClapClapClap

I also got an sms  - and wore my armband. Made it from an old arm warmer. Didnt see a single other person wearing one (except for Lance and Daryl)

C'mon Big H

Take the initiative here....it will be YOUR big contribution to cycling!!

I'm willing to go with whatever is the popular decision here...

I agree - the momentum must be continued.

Guest Big H
C'mon Big H

Take the initiative here....it will be YOUR big contribution to cycling!!

I'm willing to go with whatever is the popular decision here...

I agree - the momentum must be continued.

The BIG frusttration is that my hands are tied with this one...... I work in Nigeria. I do not even cycle here because it is not safe.......... but I KNOW that there are some who has taken the initiative and agrees with my initiative who has the WILL to make this succeed.

If I was there I would have been into this one boots and all....... a long time ago!!!!!!!!

I also made mine out of tape and saw 3 other people waring them, about 6 people asked me what it was for.

Ok maybe slightly OT, but how do I get the people I ride with to not behave like idiots on the road ?

Even though I only mtb, we still ride on the road to get to the dirt at times and then red robots are jumped, cycling into oncoming traffic etc.

It's difficult to address such issues when riding with a) older people that don't take well to the 'laaitie' telling them what to do and b) riding with people you don't know in a group format.

Any tips ?

Guest Big H
Ok maybe slightly OT' date=' but how do I get the people I ride with to not behave like idiots on the road ?

Even though I only mtb, we still ride on the road to get to the dirt at times and then red robots are jumped, cycling into oncoming traffic etc.

It's difficult to address such issues when riding with a) older people that don't take well to the 'laaitie' telling them what to do and b) riding with people you don't know in a group format.

Any tips ?
[/quote']

Tell it to them straight...... there is nothing better than the thruth. If they do not listen you stop at the robots. If they do not wait go with another group.

It sometimes help if you speak to the pack leader. Groups like this always has a pack leader. Do NOT mince your words....... give it to him straight.....

BTW... do you ride over the red robots with them???????

Everyone goes back to their daily routine' date=' forgetting all the commotion and excitement of displaying their cause.[/quote']

Well, I wore a sleeveless top  and my black band on my arm.  Even though I used sun block, I will have that band around my arm for quite a while

I was disappointed with the number of arm bands worn.  I only saw 3 other people wearing them...

in my group i saw no cyclists with black arm bands except myself. They asked me why i was wearing it....

Guest Big H
I have had contact with quite a few people and it seems that quite a few black armbands were worn.

We CANNOT allow that this effort/sad occasion/remembrance was done for nothing. We as cyclists now need to go to the next step to show that we are ready to commit ourselves to take a positive step in healing the rift between us and "them" (whoever they may be out there)

The Code of Conduct signed by cyclists with a sticker on the helmet or bike is a issue that is starting to happen already as we speak. Those responsible for this please nurture this and ensure that it grows and become reality. Publicity must/will be given to this drive on a National level.

This CANNOT be done without us' date=' the cyclists, and our support and commitment. We have to show "them" we are serious about doing things right.
[/quote']

I almost feel like this thread has been hijacked by Hubbers reporting how many black armbands they have seen. ....... IT IS NOT IMPORTANT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!

Ok maybe slightly OT' date=' but how do I get the people I ride with to not behave like idiots on the road ?

Any tips ?
[/quote']

Tell it to them straight...... there is nothing better than the thruth. If they do not listen you stop at the robots. If they do not wait go with another group.

It sometimes help if you speak to the pack leader. Groups like this always has a pack leader. Do NOT mince your words....... give it to him straight.....

BTW... do you ride over the red robots with them???????

I don't want to sound counter-productive here, and I respect any initiative to make us safer, but I keep hearing this argument and I have to say I'm not convinced that rigorously abiding by traffic rules and stopping at red robots is going to make us safer. The only thing that has kept me relatively safe in 8 years of cycling around the city of London and another five years of solid road biking in Cape Town, is to be hyper-aware of the drivers around me and to assume that they haven't seen me or may not grant me the right of way.

When I'm riding, particularly in a built up area or busy road, I tend to use a mix of defensive and assertive riding. Often if I sense a car is uncertain about whether to turn in front of me or not, or I'm not sure if they've seen me, I will shift to the middle of the road and ride straight at them whilst looking at the driver. This forces them to acknowledge your presence and removes uncertainty from the situation. Conversely if I sense a car is accommodating me on the road I'll thank the driver with a smile or a nod to let them know I appreciate the gesture. At the same time this places you a level footing with the driver and the cursory exchange will make them feel good about their actions.

Every situation where I've been threatened or hit by a driver on the road has been due to

a) lack of awareness of a smaller vehicle (aka me) - drivers doing things like overtaking me and then turning left into my path or pulling out of side streets in front of me, or failing to properly anticipate my speed.

b) blatant disregard for my right of way - drivers who have seen me coming, but turn right in front of me anyway or disregard yield signs because they have a "might is right" kind of approach to road usage.

Another trend involves hooting at me because my presence is considered an unwelcome obstruction on the road, even though I'm within a metre from the pavement and riding single file. I once had a guy overtake me in his immense SUV and then squeeze me off the road with it and send me face first into the dirt, then drive off.

So basically I think drivers who are either negligent and lack awareness whilst driving or who are aggressive towards smaller sometimes slower-moving vehicles are unlikely to have their habits changed by a gradual trend towards law-abiding cycling. Law abiding cycling perhaps gives us the moral high ground on and off the road, but it is not a way to make us safer, unless by doing it you feel you are improving your own sense of awareness on the road.

In my experience, people who threaten my safety either drive badly or are not law-abiding drivers themselves. What is more, as cycling increases in popularity, whether we are super law-abiding cyclists or not, we are going to occupy more of the road and will inevitably continue to delay more and more driver's journeys by a few seconds every now and again. So, to my mind this means the aggressive guys are not going to start loving us just because they see us stopping at every suburban stop street.

I think that what is needed is education from a very young age on road safety and harsher, strictly enforced punishment for those who disregard the value of human life on the road, whether that be pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists or other drivers and passengers.

No mention of Helen Zille's comments regards cycling safety when interviewed on Sunday, if only there were more people with her views our roads would be a lot safer.