A different perspective - cyclists vs dri

running man

Simply put "RESPECT" and "Treat others how you yourself would like to be treated"

Whoever was in the wrong' date=' the cyclist made a doess of himself by acting like a bananarepublicdarkglassesspitspewingdictator.

[/quote']

I dont know about that sometimes.If that poephol had shoved his finger up my chics nose and spewed his spittle all over my car I would have taken his bike away from him and thrown it as far as i could down the embankment or into the veld whichever is handy.

I think I can thro a 7kg bike pretty far.The lighter the better.

Let him come with his charge of assault.I will pay it gladly

Wont be the first time either I have gladly paid up.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great letter Running Man and thanks for not running him over when he swerved in front of you :)

He seems a chop based on your description of the events and I would not like to be associated with him.

Regards

Hairy

Simply put "RESPECT" and "Treat others how you yourself would like to be treated"

Whoever was in the wrong' date=' the cyclist made a doess of himself by acting like a bananarepublicdarkglassesspitspewingdictator.

[/quote']

I dont know about that sometimes.If that poephol had shoved his finger up my chics nose and spewed his spittle all over my car I would have taken his bike away from him and thrown it as far as i could down the embankment or into the veld whichever is handy.

I think I can thro a 7kg bike pretty far.The lighter the better.

Let him come with his charge of assault.I will pay it gladly

Wont be the first time either I have gladly paid up.

Well i guess that most can relate to that.

The respect conspiracy theory applies from the outset, IOW in this case if the instigator had some respect and gone about his "protest" in a respectfull manner the OP would most probably not have needed to post his rant.

Peace brothers and susters...

A further 2c worth - thanks for all the feedback and your thoughts.

Spot on Bat Ass and the doc and Swissvan, a raised hand in apology would have gone a long way. Above all, some R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

@kranswurm, tempting! Ouch

@ pbp, interesting thoughts but I'm not "taking the rider's reaction and developing it into the idea that riders are to blame for being knocked down". I'm taking his action. His reaction just seemed to lend a whole lot of support to his already obvious and ignorant manner.

"the last time I looked it was motorists killing cyclists, not the other way around" True - clearly no rocket science needed to figure out the winner between a 7kg bicycle frame and a 2 ton vehicle, but that doesn't mean its always the motorist's fault?

Unfortunately the motorist will face the punishment regardless.

Its about responsibility for your actions (cyclists, drivers, runners - anyone who shares the road out there), and respect.

@ Bat-ass again, yes - the good far outweighs the bad and we must not forget it. Most people's manners and intentions are in the right place. An e.g. - I was on Glencairn  Express the other day and a cyclist up ahead fell over (wind / not sure why!) in the yellow line. I slowed and pulled over flashing hazards etc to warn others. It wasn't serious and the rider waved me on, but not without a big smile and a thank you - there you go, one bad, one good! Think we're even

cyclist with bad attitude = motorist with bad attitude = pedestrian with bad attitude = jogger with bad attitude = motorcyclist with bad attitude

What is the common factor?? Why do we always single out the cyclists?

A couple of years ago I was late in getting home from a training ride and it was getting dark quickly. The roads were quite empty and I slowed but never stopped at a red traffic light near to the one which running man mentions. No other cars, no other motor cycles no-one inconvenienced at all.

But there was a jogger running in the opposite direction on the road (not the sidewalk) who also carried on through the same red traffic light. I was in the middle of the road as my right hand turn off was less than 50m past the traffic light. There was no question of us colliding.

The next thing I hear is the jogger hurling abuse at me because I cycled thru the red light without stopping. It didn't dawn on him that not only was he running against the flow of traffic but he also "jumped" the same red light. He was "jaywalking". What did he feel gave him the right to hurl abuse at me?

Neither of us inconvenienced anyone else, but he seemed to think that he could abuse me because I was on a bicycle???? Weird ... weird.

The reason we all gripe about cyclists is that they are deemed to inconvenience the rest of "us".

Another story ...

I invited my boss out for the Argus. Along with him came a few more international visitors from the USA, Holland, UAE and France (not to forget oiltrash from good ol' Nigeria). We went on a ride from the CBD to the top of Chappies on the Saturday.  They are all senior, responsible people and behaved as they would on the roads where they come from.

I was seriously embarrased by my fellow Capetonians. The number of hoots that we got from impatient pricks whose time was more important than anyone else on the road was really something to behold.

The feedback: The Argus was great despite the wind but South African road users needs lessons in civility. It was really interesting to listen to the stories about the norms that are enforced in California with respect to cyclists. Cyclists get fined for speeding and motorists get locked up for 3 years for "buzzing". Safe passing distance of 1.5m minimum is enforced - no exceptions.

I guess it really is just a matter of the level of civilisation.

edit: forgot the UAE

Friday afternoon last week driving north over Ou Kaap, as I've gone past a cyclist swings out from the yellow line / shoulder and tucks in right behind me, and I mean so close that when he's crouched down I can barely see him when I look in the mirror. You guys tell me - if something happens in front of me and I hit the brakes, this loon is on a way way ticket head-first straight into the back of my bakkie - who's at fault now?

This time no hooting - after the previous incident I realise its just not worth it. But I did take careful note of the outfit this time round.

Again - irresponsible actions and reckless riding needs to be accounted for?

and I had a guy in a Jeep doing exactly the same thing on the3 steep side of ou kaapse too. Could see the colour of his eyes.

Also yesterday I had a guy on a motorbike come past me doing at least 150kmh

In fact I have about 20 similiar experiences every day.

I guess the difference is that if the cyclist goes down he will hurt himself and only himself. If the **** in the jeep gets it wrong he takes me over the edge with him.

"Again - irresponsible actions and reckless driving needs to be accounted for" ????? I really don't understand why you feel that you need to single out the cyclists?