A different perspective - cyclists vs dri

running man

To be honest' date=' sometimes on roads like these some of us purposely ride more in the road than we should as it then illiminates the chances of cars trying to pass when there is clearly no space for 2 cars and a bike with no where to go when they do. In riding slightly morein the road than we need to, it forces the cars to wait until the appropriate time to do so when there are no cars coming from the front.

Overall this is the safest way to ride and it is certainly a defensive manner we are forced into. So no, it is not always just to irritate, it is self preservation.
[/quote']

Quite true, when there is more space people will be more likely to take a chance. Its really this road in particular as it is a triple line for several km in one area, so passing can take forever sometimes!

It doesn't really bother me unless I am in a rush to be somewhere, I understand how hectic it can be riding on our roads. I was bringing it up more from a safety point of view, say I was driving along the road, came around a blind corner (of which there are many on this road) cyclist riding in the road, and a car approaching on the opposite side, its not going to end well for the cyclist.

This is something I feel strongly about hence all my comments.

Maybe one day our country and its people will mature to a point where we can call ourselves a 1st World Country and then hopefully we will have seperate roads for vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians. Everyone will work together for the good of all and the maturity will show in the attitude with which we tolerate each other in situations where things are not perfect.

Until then all we can do is change ourselves and stay out of trouble and do what is right. Without this attitude SA will stay immature in its social essense and a properous future for ALL will not be attainable. It will remain a country filled with a people who on majority seek selfish gain and our lives will continue to be thwart with frustrating situations on roads, in public areas, in political arena and bascially anywhere where there is human activity.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Initial poster: I understand and respect your decision to remain passive during this tirade of abuse. Your letter only mirrors the countless other times people complain of abusive cyclists with an attitude of entitlement. If it were put to a public vote, I am certain that bicycles would be taken off the roads. Living in Cape Town, we see cyclist breaking the laws and abusing other road users daily. From those who disregard the rules of the road (NEVER stopping at robots and intersections, riding 3 abreast on single lane roads) to those that verbally abuse drivers. It is daily here. The only solution is to have dedicated cycling lanes, and heavily fine riders/confiscate bikes for those who break the laws.

You can at least rest assured that this prick who abused you will get beaten to a pulp soon if he carries on like this. I know a lot of people who wouldnt stand for a second of that.

The reaction of the cyclist aside.

I would like an explanation from Running Man , he said that the cyclist swung into the road / lane. Was the cyclist riding off road at the time? I know that section of road well, there is no shoulder at the point mentioned, so the cyclist will have to be riding in the road, as he is permitted. It sounds to me that Running Man was passing the cycists closer than is permitted. The road at that point is fairly wide and there is plenty of space to pass two cyclists (who are in the action of overtaking). Running Man is required to pass with a metre to spare, this should be enough to allow for the passing cyclist. Did he observe this rule of the road?

I also have to ask Running Man. You have seen a cyclist pass another and then you see him preparing to do it again and indeed watch him do it, all the while driving in a manner that puts you in a position of conflict. Sounds a little passive aggressive to me. Please explain to me why you didnt simply give him more room or slow down to avoid a potential accident.

The bottom line, you are driving lethal weapon weighing in over a ton. Please next time expect the cyclist to ride like a tosser and you rather drive more defensively. At least this incident may have been avoided. Believe me, his fault or not, you dont want to be burdened with taking anothers life.

As a motorist and a cyclist (and a motor biker), I agree with the sentiments raised here.

The basic problem is that no matter what form of transport he's using, there is ALWAYS some complete ****head out there with a chip on his shoulder...

Thanks for bringing in some perspective, Foe Fighter.

<> 

One wonders about his logic and understanding of the situation - he pulled in front of me' date=' and deserved to be hooted at for putting us all immediately in a very potential accident situation. 

cut cut

I'm not taking sides but its no wonder, with the likes of this guy around, that there is a growing perception amongst drivers that cyclists are arrogant, rude, obnoxious and dont deserve to be sharing the road. With behaviour like this I cant help but agree. I have many close friends who cycle and their decent and well mannered approach to a sport that they enjoy is whats preventing me from lumping all cyclists in that category.

cut cut

Above all, I now wonder how many of the accidents out there are not the fault of the motorist but rather irresponsible cyclists?

[/quote']

You see.

"Deserved to be hooted at?"

Why not say a motorist deserves to be shouted at? That makes as much sense. If you were too close... you were too close.

One motorist driving like an @sshole it's not taken as representative of the entire motoring fraternity.

So why generalise about riders? Since when did an anecdote = a trend?

Frankly, I know lots of cyclists and NONE of them behaves like this. Funnily enough, I know lots of motorists too, and more than one of them drives with a similar attitude.

It's all good and well to attack a single person because of his behaviour, but I can't see how that translates into attacking an entire group of people.

And if the best response of members of this forum is to sling mud at the person most vulnerable - the cyclist - then frankly I'm gobsmacked.

pbp20072010-03-23 14:20:40

I would like an explanation from Running Man ' date=' he said that the cyclist swung into the road / lane. Was the cyclist riding off road at the time? I know that section of road well, there is no shoulder at the point mentioned, so the cyclist will have to be riding in the road, as he is permitted. It sounds to me that Running Man was passing the cycists closer than is permitted. The road at that point is fairly wide and there is plenty of space to pass two cyclists (who are in the action of overtaking). Running Man is required to pass with a metre to spare, this should be enough to allow for the passing cyclist. Did he observe this rule of the road?

I also have to ask Running Man. You have seen a cyclist pass another and then you see him preparing to do it again and indeed watch him do it, all the while driving in a manner that puts you in a position of conflict. Sounds a little passive aggressive to me. Please explain to me why you didnt simply give him more room or slow down to avoid a potential accident.

The bottom line, you are driving lethal weapon weighing in over a ton. Please next time expect the cyclist to ride like a tosser and you rather drive more defensively. At least this incident may have been avoided. Believe me, his fault or not, you dont want to be burdened with taking anothers life.
[/quote']

he already explained that he was now basically next to the cyclist when he jumped out. If he was closer than a meter, then I am sure the plonker on the bicycle would have ised his head and looked.

My bet is the plonker on the bike was at fault as most of us are in situations like this. Besides, I think the main point of the letter was to ask why the guy lost his temper so quickly.

<>

Thanks for the feedback, and the

support of our actions to just let this blithering idiot go rather than opt for

the confrontation route. (more out of bewilderment than anything else) You have

restored my faith in the cycling community that not all cyclists are of his

mentality (or lack thereof)

(The Break) ? thanks for your

honesty. You hit the nail on the head ? the point of the letter is to question

the temper involved. We all share the road out there ? drivers, runners,

cyclists, etc. Why must one of those neglect their responsibilities and make the

others  bear the brunt of that? Yes - in this case it is simply one cyclist vs.

a driver, there is no generalization and I?m trying desperately hard not to view

all cyclists in this road-rage category - though I would certainly think twice

about reacting the same if in that situation again in the future, fearing the

same results ? correct me if I?m wrong here. The post on this forum is merely

aimed at informing the cycling community of the other side of the coin ? and of

course first prize would be the idiot in question to read this, take a chunk of

humble pie and step off his soap box and apologise to my wife. I?m somehow

doubting that would happen. Unfortunately no pics taken ? too amazed to think of

that at the time!

In all

the accidents we see and hear about all we are informed of are the wrongdoings

of the motorists, very seldom the cyclist. My question, with all respect to

those who have lost loved ones in cycling accidents as my heart certainly

understands those who exercise where others couldn?t give a damn, is why put

others at risk through your own negligence? Be they drivers or runners or

pedestrians or whoever ? yes, you as a cyclist can put a driver at risk. Ever

thought about that? Being ?the most vulnerable? on the road doesn?t give the

cyclist free license to ride recklessly and expect others to tolerate it. Just

as it doesn't give me any right to run into the traffic expecting them to swerve

around me.

Be respectful of those using the

road around you, and be aware ? be aware of the traffic around you ? know that

if you glanced over your shoulder 10 seconds ago and saw a car that it will be

near you soon ? so no, you cannot simply swing into the traffic as before to

overtake, or at the very least have the courtesy to indicate your intentions so

those around you know what you?re thinking and planning on doing. Don?t go out

for your morning ride expecting motorists to do the thinking on your behalf

because we cannot read your minds, and if you?re thinking we should be then

perhaps you shouldn?t be on the road at all. If I go for a run and anticipate an

obstacle ahead of me that will leave me no option but to run from the pavement

or shoulder into a road lane I take serious note of my surroundings beforehand ?

and if its not safe I don?t do it. Simple ? no choice.

Foe

Fighter ? the section of road in question has a narrow shoulder, but there is

one and it is perfectly adequate for those who cycle responsibly. The only way

two cyclists and a car will all fit abreast is for me to either drive on the

yellow island or into oncoming traffic ? tell me which you?d prefer, as a non

passive-aggressive approach to my peaceful Sunday morning out, bearing in mind

I?m already driving well under the speed limit, and trying desperately to read

the minds of two cyclists ahead of me at the same

time.

You?re quite clearly correct ? I

do not want to be burdened with taking another?s life, but I draw the

line at other?s senseless actions and lack of thought (read: stupidity) being my

responsibility (read: jail sentence).

Bottom

line again ? please, this is not just another outrage from an incensed motorist

? I know it comes at a sensitive time when many cyclists have been killed in the

past few weeks and I sympathize deeply with your community, but all I?m pleading

for is respect for the other users of the road ? understand that they cannot

read your mind and realize that your actions bear responsibilities too.

Hopefully this can go some way to,  (The Break), working together for the

good of all and tolerating each other where things are not perfect? wouldn?t

that be nice.

I have a friend who is a GP (doctor)... He rekkons, if we knew how many people are living stressed to the max, we would all be alot more polite on the roads!! He says he sees them in his rooms every day, and they are like highly strung time bombs!!! dont mess with road rage, if you do something stupid, put your hand up in appology,, it difusses the situation immediately....

Foe - no offense - but you surely have come up to slower couple of riders... maybe in same race, or esp whilst joining up with short route riders.

Last 15-20 k's - you just want to step on it to finish, the "still have 20 to go" attitude, esp up hills. And then as you're approaching (at much greater speed) 2 riding next to each other, one behind them decides now's just a peachy freakin moment to ride right in front of you to overtake the two slower riders. We've all been there...

Who's "at fault" then?!

As a motorist and a cyclist (and a motor biker)' date=' I agree with the sentiments raised here.

The basic problem is that no matter what form of transport he's using, there is ALWAYS some complete ****head out there with a chip on his shoulder...
[/quote']

+ 1

Unfortunately people still like to point fingers....

I would like an explanation from Running Man ' date=' he said that the cyclist swung into the road / lane. Was the cyclist riding off road at the time? I know that section of road well, there is no shoulder at the point mentioned, so the cyclist will have to be riding in the road, as he is permitted. It sounds to me that Running Man was passing the cycists closer than is permitted. The road at that point is fairly wide and there is plenty of space to pass two cyclists (who are in the action of overtaking). Running Man is required to pass with a metre to spare, this should be enough to allow for the passing cyclist. Did he observe this rule of the road?

[/quote']

FF - Stop trying to justify the cyclist's reaction - The OP did not take anyones life, nor did he risk anyones life. Quite simply he took action to ensure he missed the cyclist.

Next time you drive past a cyclist take out your tape measure and check if you are keeping the legal distance away from the cyclist.

In all honesty the entire post is about the cyclist's reaction.

Simply put "RESPECT" and "Treat others how you yourself would like to be treated"

Whoever was in the wrong, the cyclist made a doess of himself by acting like a bananarepublicdarkglassesspitspewingdictator.

We?ve heard only one side of the story.

Now, I don?t dispute that this is how the OP saw things

play out.

But there seems to be an assumption that the

cyclist reacted

completely over the top and without any good reason, and that the

motorist acted

entirely reasonably at all times.

T

his may be true.

What bothers me is the idea of taking the rider?s

(admittedly

extreme) reaction and developing it into the idea that riders are

potentially to

blame for being knocked down. I find this a troubling line of thinking.

People who drive or ride carelessly put themselves

and

others at risk.

The last time I looked, it was motorists killing

cyclists, not

the other way around.

It's not about who's killing who. It's not about pointing fingers. SwissVan called it - there's no respect out there on the roads.

As for this incident. Nobody generelised and said "cyclists are responsible for being knocked down". Most of us are in agreement that this cyclist was way out of line. And it's this kind of behaviour that gives the rest of us a bad name.

Furthermore - if you bugger into the road, overtaking a slower guy without watching what's coming... and then still blame the car, something is wrong. (See my funride comparison.) We're not talking about a a sms'ing driver hitting a rider in the yellow lane. We're talking about common sense riding.

Maybe I'm getting it all wrong, but when I go out on my bike, I want to enjoy myself - and I want to return to my family. Therefore I do what I can to ensure it.

for every 1 incident like this on the roads, there are hundreds of civallised, polite and curtious incidents... unfortunately 1 like this is damaging, but i still believe the good out weights the bad... if it was the other way round, i, and most of you who put in hours on the road would be dead!! 

I think the Doctor friend of Bat Ass is right, we are nation just waiting to explode,...be it on the road, in the local P&P, nightclub, kentucky drive thru etc.