Please help with first mtb purchase

Nolmes

If you do get the bike, buy new pedals if you can - I have the ones that are on the bike and they are the worst pedals you can buy....I'm just waiting for some cash so I can throw them against a wall!

Will ask the seller about the chain now. He says he works for john Deere but will confirm on Tuesday. What does decent chain cost to replace?

Chain might just be caught in the FD that make it look like that, doesnt have to be a problem: chains vary in price, are consumables but when fitting a new chain, examine the cassette as well, sometimes (but not always) a good idea to replace the set. Look at ?CWC online for some better priced local options http://www.cwcycles.co.za/catalog/26 ?then of course there is the mama of them all Chain Reaction Cycles ?for parts, but be warned there is just too many goodies there that have to be had.

A chain replacement (SLX) should be approx R200. (I did mine last week ate CWC).  Then be careful that the cluster wasnt damaged by worn chain, another R580 from CWC for new cassette.

Cool, that's not too bad.

Thanks coenie' date=' are they lower specced components than the 2006 model? Are they still decent? Thanks stewie, will get all the info I can[/quote']

Look what you can get for R8000

?

Unfortunately too big for me. There was also a merida 800 dual suspension going for 9.5k, but want to first take riding seriously before upgrading.

Cool' date=' that's not too bad.

Thanks coenie' date=' are they lower specced components than the 2006 model? Are they still decent? Thanks stewie, will get all the info I can[/quote']

Look what you can get for R8000

Unfortunately too big for me. There was also a merida 800 dual suspension going for 9.5k, but want to first take riding seriously before upgrading.

Go for what you can afford, if you can afford, go for the Merida,  they are well specced and good value for money.  It may be a little more expensive, but in two or three months you will be kicking yourself for not going with the Merida.  Buy what you can afford or even a bit more.  You will not be sorry

The reviEw I read on the merida says the rear shock is rubbish, I'm assuming a good rear shock is quite pricey. What your thoughts on that?

Frame is a medium, 18.