Chain Reaction Cycles - What's the catch

Plentipotential

As with all aspects of life' date=' mistakes happen and CRC are no exception.

They have sent me the wrong tyre before. However their customer service is great. After notifying them, they gave me the choice of a refund or sending out the correct tyre, AND I could keep the original one. So its now lined up as my experimental one for ghetto tubeless conversions....
[/quote']

We had a HUGE delay in our order....with absolutely no correspondence fortcomming!!

Bos eventually phoned them and after about 5 calls in two days....it turned out they had some email probs as well as suddenly 5 items from our group order was out of stock...

Eventually I could change some items on backorder & cancelled quite a few. I was refunder within two days!

After some apologies from the sales manager - when they eventually started answering their emails...

our order will be picked up tomorrow AM!!!  Aftrer 1 month of placing the order nad deducting my C-Card.

All in all - not too good a first experience but I believe it was just a glitch on their side...

We have saved so much on the items it is still worth all the hassle and time / effort.

Will definately be placing another order from them!!! They can't surely all go bad?

Thats very unusual - I've just checked my order history and over the past 3,5 years I have had 14 orders delivered - all were over the minimim qualification for free shipping so paid nothing.

Only once was something left out, and I was refunded immediately without having to query it.

much cheaper, better selection, customer reviews available - so there really is no catch.

The local industry 'wholesalers' hardly offer after sales service anyway.  everytime I've needed a spare part ended up waiting six weeks because the local wholesaler didn;t have stock - and they call themselves wholesalers..... 

I have had nothing but good service from CRC, and thats 5 reasonably large orders later.?

One of the diffs between them and the LBS is that the local shop 'adds value' to the products they sell, ie advice, after sales support, go there for look & feel, ?etc. Not that that is any excuse for excessive margins (which are?)

If you know exactly what you want component-wise and do ur own fitting and maintenance, then why not, but make sure you have all your specs/dimensions right! Even tho CRC are very good with returns and refunds.

Compare CRC & local prices to get some idea of the profit margin of the importer and local shop.

My rule of thumb is that if the local price and on line prices are in the same ball park, I buy local.

If the local price is much higher than the on-line one, it is usually a clear indication that the importer/sole agent for SA/whatever they call themself is riding a disproportionate profit margin.

For example:

I have bought all my Zipp stuff local. (1x wheelset, bar, stem, TT shifters)

I have bought all my Campy stuff on-line (2x wheelsets, 3x full gruppos)