TDF equipment "substitutions"

Christie

The manufacturers are not actually sponsoring the teams. They are in fact buying advertising space. They don't care what the pro's use. They want you to buy their products. All they want is your money.

And along comes a nice little thread like this one!! OK, not everybody can spot a Zipp 404 at a 1000 feet, but you can only fool half the people half the time!!

The manufacturers are not actually sponsoring the teams. They are in fact buying advertising space. They don't care what the pro's use. They want you to buy their products. All they want is your money.

For instance:
Lightspeed = Eddy Merckx (1980's)

I'm sure they don't mind as long as things go well, but let there be a mechanical failure and then they a quick to say how they use other manufacturers products with their name on it.

>>>>Honestly though, how many guys go out and buy something because a pro rides it?

In my club, about 25%. They won't admit it but they will tell you that these wheels/cables/tyres are the same as pro XYZ rides or rode in the Giro or tour.

When it comes to trying to sell people sensible wheels, they always hanker after the silly stuff the pro's ride.

What is really interesting is looking at the stuff the pro teams fit to their bikes for the Paris Rubaix. When last have you seen 36-spoke box-section rims, steel forks and the like? In the 90's. No, in the PR in April.

JB