Merida AM3000

2teeth

Hey 2teeth' date='

I am from the company importing the Commencals. If you are interested we have a demo Large Meta 5.5.3 and a small Meta 5.5.2, which you can test if you wish. I will be happy to meet with you for a ride.

The Meta 5.5.1 was just tested by MBR UK magazine and achieved full marks 10/10. If you want I can forwarded the article to you. There is also a review in the latest Mountain Biker (South Africa)

Cheers,

Jean-Luc
[/quote']

big ups to companies offering demo models Clap

Thanks Rock! we feel it is important for prospective mountain bikers to demo bikes, before spending some hard earned cash.

hi thanks for all the comments!!

i had some time yesterday and read a few mtb mags. i read a british mag, i think it was called mountainbike or something. anyway they had the review on the commencal 5.5.1 and gave it a 10/10. they also reviewed the Merida AM800 i know it isnt the same as the 300 but the frames are the same, and there was a bit of a issue with the flex in the rear end.

i went too our local bike shop and spoke too the sales guy and he gave me a deal that i cannot resist. so i think i will be on a commencal 5.5.2!!!!

thanks for your responses!!

Great choice.Wink Welcome to the Commencal Family.

If you have any questions on the bike, do not hesitate to contact us on info@commencal.co.za

We also have Commencal rides on some weekends, come and join us when you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a AM 3000D and it's a great bike. Not really fare to put a AM 800 and 5.5.1 in the same boat.

I test road a Steven's, Scott, Giant, GT, Spec, Trek Raleigh, Commencal, couple of others and of course the Merida. Buck for buck the Merida was a better buy.

Also, in my opinion just case the 5.5.1 got great reviews doesn't mean the 5.5.2 is just a good a buy.

AM 3000D got some good reviews, but beacuse of different rear shock the AM800 did not fare so well. Even though it's the same frame.

I'm not knocking Commencal though. I also read the 10/10 review. Difficult to make one's mind up according to those. Trail bike of the year never feature last year's winner and they don't always include bike's they don't "push". Plus reviewer likes different stuff in a bike that you or maybe I do.

Again, I also read those. In fact I study them almost religiously, but in the end of the day, you have to decide on a trail. Which we all know is not so easy in SA as not all bikes are available and most stores only carry a couple of brands.

Pitty...

FULL XT, Fox Talas RL 100-120-140, Fox RP2 shock with pro-pedal, Hydro-formed tubes...

Best would be to take all of your options for a spin. Kyle at Cycle Factory was kind enough to organise a demo from Merida for me when the time came to finally make up my mind. Could take the Merida and Scott Scale 50 I was upgrading for back to back test drives. Was really helpful.

HI There

The AM 3000 is part of the the AM (All Mountian) range of bikes which was launched by Merida for the 2007 season.

The bike is aimed at exactly what your looking for - An all day riding bike with relaxed geometry, rear wheel travel of either 115mm or 130mm with a lockout option which is easily accessable so you can activate whilst riding and excellent value - a huge success, both world wide and in S.A - So much so that you will battle to find an 07 model and will have to wait for the 08 models to arrive in September, which luckly are even better!

The frame of the 3000 uses Merida's top HFS tubing which is created through the forcing of hot oil at extremely high pressure into round alloy tubes which are forced against negative moulds - this allowing merida to vary the wall thickness, cross sections and the external shape of the tube but most importantly creates a frame which is both lightweight and super stiff. Then welded using Merida's world renouned and awarded robot welding system which is unique to the Merida factory. Lastly, Merida then tests the frames using the EFBe(The worlds leading bicycle independent test facilty based in Germany)machinary which we have in the factory.

The design uses a 3 dimentional swinglink which is connected at 5 points - results in a frameset with exteme torsional stiffness and reduces the stress on the frame and rear shock.

I hope this gives you a better understanding about our AM range and will assist you in making a more educated decision.

The local company distributing Merida has been in the country for 3 years now and has a Excellent if not the best name when it comes to waranty turn around so thats a huge plus factor.

There will be test bikes made available with the 08 version and they we will be at variouls races around the country for you to test the bikes i.e Crater cruise will have a 4km test route for the weekend of that event.

Let me know if you are keen so I can ensure you get to test one of these awesome bikes.

HI there

With your Anthem, the shock can also be a Fox RP2 but the travel on your bike is much less than the AM as it is an XC bike. Giants Trance is more in line with a Merida AM. Remember there is a difference between the Shocks stroke and the rear wheel travel which results form a combination of the shock and the rear triangle.

Hope this clarify's your view.

go anthem its the best specced bike for the price and the best susser i`ve ever ridden better than my schwinn and a whyte 46... You not doing huge jumps so u dont need the extra travel and wait...the commencal(bad spelling??) is overpriced for what u get.. I say Gaint Anthem and u wont look bad...i havent

I say Gaint Anthem and u wont look bad...i havent

So it's all about apearances?! Hee hee, couldn't resist!

Why do i say anthem....im new to mtb ing and already i say im doing so well cos of my anthem...I`ve finished 10th and 15th in 2 big races and im a newbie so thanks gaint for making a great bike

oh and thats playing catch up so most the time I can only go as fast as the guy infront of me

I'm more than happy with my bike for what it's meant to be. But I have the opputunity to upgrade to a Moto-lite (or Ibis Mojo) and just can't resist.

Not to push Merida or knock Giant, but I heard bearings and some other suspension related parts give trouble in the long run, that's why I settled on the Merida in the end.

Also a newbie and on rides with some friends (trail/climbs/xc/am) I'm right in there with the Anthems,Epics,Rush and plenty other top end bikes.

Also IMO the Merida has less bob than most others.

If not for the ooputunity to upgrade I'd ride the Merida till kingdom come.

HI there

With your Anthem' date=' the shock can also be a Fox RP2 but the travel on your bike is much less than the AM as it is an XC bike. Giants Trance is more in line with a Merida AM. Remember there is a difference between the Shocks stroke and the rear wheel travel which results form a combination of the shock and the rear triangle.

Hope this clarify's your view.
[/quote']

Well not quite...I would say the Giant Reign is more like the Merida AM

I'm more than happy with my bike for what it's meant to be. But I have the opputunity to upgrade to a Moto-lite (or Ibis Mojo) and just can't resist.

Not to push Merida or knock Giant' date=' but I heard bearings and some other suspension related parts give trouble in the long run, that's why I settled on the Merida in the end.

Also a newbie and on rides with some friends (trail/climbs/xc/am) I'm right in there with the Anthems,Epics,Rush and plenty other top end bikes.

Also IMO the Merida has less bob than most others.

If not for the ooputunity to upgrade I'd ride the Merida till kingdom come.
[/quote']

Well I had a Giant NRS for about 3 years and now a Trance 1, and as DR, Thug, etc. I *USE* my suspension quite a bit, never had any issues with die bearings on my NRS.