Downtime 26/04 - 27/04

Matt

Has any thought been given to using a Linux backend or is that impossible with the forum software ?

It's actually in the pipeline. As I mentioned in my initial post' date=' we're planning to move to a new hosting provider in May. The plan is to go with a Linux based dedicated server. Up to now we've been on a Windows based shared server.

The current forum software is very much Windows based (ASP and MS SQL) so Windows hosting was the better option. However, we will be switching to a PHP / MySQL system and Linux based hosting. From 1 May I'll be focusing on this and many other improvements full time.[/quote']

That sounds great.

PHP / MySQL systems are far more stable than the equivalent M$ ones.

The Thug2010-04-28 06:35:41

Has any thought been given to using a Linux backend or is that impossible with the forum software ?

It's actually in the pipeline. As I mentioned in my initial post' date=' we're planning to move to a new hosting provider in May. The plan is to go with a Linux based dedicated server. Up to now we've been on a Windows based shared server.

The current forum software is very much Windows based (ASP and MS SQL) so Windows hosting was the better option. However, we will be switching to a PHP / MySQL system and Linux based hosting. From 1 May I'll be focusing on this and many other improvements full time.[/quote']That sounds great.PHP / MySQL systems are far more stable than the equivalent M$ ones.

Given the traffic and volumes I would recommend looking at PostgreSQL rather.

The software we're moving to supports MySQL and MS SQL. There is a 3rd party driver for PostgreSQL, however it's not particularly well supported and not supported by the vendors themselves.

At this stage we're looking at MySQL. It's supported and recommended by the vendors and there are a number of high traffic sites using the platform, running well on MySQL.

In the "classified" drop down menu, the list shows two sections, "for sale" and "wanted", with a header for each. However the headers are hotlinked to a 'void' statement, causing a 404 error if you happen to click on them. My opinion is that these should rather link to the relevant classfied section, or not link to anything at all. I'm sure there are loads of people who will click the headers accidentally.

interesting suggestion.. why would u recommend pgsql over mysql?