Vredestein Tiger Claw's. Any good?

Wannabe

I have received my Tiger Claw. Thought I would put pics up before I mount it. From handling it, the side walls feel thin - much like my SB8 DTC's. I have the 2.4 and it looks big!20100504_051405_TigerClaw_1.jpg

20100504_051445_TigerClaw_2.jpg

Keep me posted on how you find these tyres, pse.

Will have to purchase new tyres in the future, and any info that can help me make a better informed decision will be appreciated.

As said tyres are very personal, I love the new maxxis aspen tyre but there about only 3 guys on the whole hub using it...

I have fitted the Tiger Claw and WOW, it's a BIG tyre. Big big volume and the 2.4 is very generous. Looks like I'm running a MX tyre.... I actually think it is too big.

20100505_082146_TigerClaw_3.jpg

20100505_082248_TigerClaw_4.jpg

Almighty that IS big!!

run that on the back at 1.5 and you don't need suspension!

Ha ha ha. Taking it out shortly for a spin on the XC Nationals route at Cascades here in PMB. Will let you know how it goes..should be super plush ride up front :P

Verdict is in:

They grip supremely! Point and shoot kind of grip - love it. However, I was ripped off constantly due to their size. They really are big big tyres. Wide (you definitely getting your 2.4 value for money) and huge huge volume.

I'm not so sure these are for me ... But I don' know what else to put in front, at least from the choice in MY garage - no one dare mention mountain king etc. I have monorail UST and SB8 DTC to choose from. Which do you think for the coming Karkloof? I'm not going to be riding with this tyre that is for sure...

SB8 is now in the front. So running SB8's front and back ... Any opinions or experiences with this combination?

Not sure what to do with the Tiger Claw now - it's sulking in the corner of the garage.

What are the advantages of having a tyre with such big volume? Pinch-flats are eliminated I'm sure and it's probably a much smoother ride due to the casing absorbing some of the impacts but anything else? The width is also really big, looked as big as a DH tyre from the top, advantages?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some Tiger Claws & fitted them to my Rocky Mountain. So far I am very impressed with them. They grip evenly through the corners unlike my previous Mezcals which let go & then gripped when pushed hard. They roll well on tar & are very quiet. So far I am happy with them.