Olympic Cycles Cape Town

MarZub

<P>Mr T you have more time on your hands than anyone I know, love it....spend it all on the net!!</P>

<DIV>My take is the OC SUCKS, they over charge and they do not fix what they messed up. You feel you are doing them a favour and they are unfriendly in the way they conduct their business. If you are in the service business then you should know how to reatin clients and get them to return. I guess I speak and vote with my feet and CC are great and Caledonian cycle shop are the best in servicing your bike, cost effctive and friendly service. </DIV>

I agree! Caledonion Cycles on the corner of 7th Avenue and Retreat Main Road provide awesome service! And their unique way of custom-fitting a bicycle to your needs is great!

OC is okay, I deal with Greg and Jason. Jason loaned me a 120mm stem, fitted it, had it for a week, and I returned it at no cost. Their prices are a bit steep, but their range is awesome, and on the big items you can always negotiate. I always get a 10% discount at the till (it's given without asking) even on small items like tires, bombs etc.

The Saturday before Argus they put my handlebar tape on. They quoted R35 and when I collected it,it had risen to R45 - not very professional. However it was a good job.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Olympic is great if you are looking for accessories and they usually have a good range of bikes to chose from.

I have to admit however that if you want a decent service, dont take it to them. I bought a brand new Scott 950 2013, they built it up for me and I collected the following morning. Lets just say ive had to take the thing back about 5 or 6 times. Right off the bat it wasnt shifting properly in front. Took it back, collected again, and rear wouldnt shift properly. Then the new fox shocks started making this clicking noise when being depressed and released, those went back, returned but they didnt set my lockout correctly. Back it went, couple weeks later, shocks made the same noise. Back it went again. So far so good now though. Shifting is finally working correctly (last visit there for the first service, and the chain shifted right off the rear cassette. I luckily managed to adjust this myself and since has been working without issue. The guys at olympic are great, but the guys doing the servicing need some serious training. Ive also head that the volume of repairs they need to make means less care for your bike when it eventually makes the stand. When I spend about 20k on a piece of equipment I expect it to work flawlessly from the start, and not have to continuously take it back for adjusting.

I wont ever take my bike back there to be serviced, I will however buy my accessories there, decent prices compared to most places.

Olympic are generally cheaper than the other Southern Suburbs shops and have a bigger range than most. But they do fall foul of the service bogey sometimes.

OC is okay, I deal with Greg and Jason. Jason loaned me a 120mm stem, fitted it, had it for a week, and I returned it at no cost. Their prices are a bit steep, but their range is awesome, and on the big items you can always negotiate. I always get a 10% discount at the till (it's given without asking) even on small items like tires, bombs etc.

Now I know to always ask for a 10% discount as well.

Got my Infinito frame from them at a cracking price.

Jason' words to me when I took it was: "Now let's do this quickly, before I change my mind because I'm basically paying you 4 grand to take this thing out the shop."

Just my luck I guess but I'm now doing all my shopping like that. That frame I will be building up end off next year will probably be purchased during the winter preceding it, or at whichever point the price have dropped sufficiently. clap.gif

Never again buying any cycling kit the very moment I need it. blush.png

Olympic are generally cheaper than the other Southern Suburbs shops and have a bigger range than most. But they do fall foul of the service bogey sometimes.

Yep

I will always support them.Part of my history

Grew up in the area.New Jason dad.Olympic has always been the go to when I needed something.

It's like Speedy's in Wynberg.

you're right on the price and range bit......juts wish for once and for all they get the shop looking AAA, I know its on its way but its no CWC yet.......although a bike shop shouldn't be too 'clean' like a cyclelab which feels like you're in a totalsports or something,

Can confirm that I've only had bad service from Olympic.

Started when I wanted to buy a new bike and they had the correct model on the floor. But after a few days of actually trying to buy the bike, I gave up and bought from another LBS. Was just crazy, would not return calls, bike was not ready more than once when I drove out there to pick it up, etc. Eventually just gave up.

Over the last 2 years called them a few times when searching for a specific part. Every single time they promised to call back but never did. Once the workshop actually advised me to go to another LBS! Got a feeling the techie was as frustrated as I was.

In general the attitude was/is one of indifference and a 'don't-care' attitude. Sad thing (for them) is that I've spent a cr@pload of money on bikes/spares over the last few years but not a cent with them. And never will.

For the record; been getting great service from Deon at Cyclefunatic in Durbanville and my appreciation is recorded in the 3 bikes (and 1 kiddie bike) I bought there so far.

Crown cycles ...guys this family business is very well managed mark is amazing in the workshop Hilton and Gary always willing to help and the prices generally are 20% cheaper than Olympic.

The fact that it's also down the rd from Olympic and without the congestion of looking for parking..I'm still trying to understand why ppl go thru the aggravation at Olympic..could it be loyalty..if so it should be reciprocated by OC.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been more than dissatisfied with the service at Olympic... The only reason I've been using them lately, is for convenience...

Where is Crown cycles and Epic?

A stone throw away. Just continue from Claremont side , 2 robots , on the left. The petrol you use is not even noticed thumbup1.gif . Mark a good mechanic.A Friendly Family business. Used them since 1974.clap.gif

Huh ? Cheaper ? I beg to differ. A bike fit @ R 800 ? Is a bike fit rocket science? Cycle Lab did an ergofit for R350!

Absolutely, I hear what you say and also agree that Gary and Hilton even their father are always most friendly and willing to chat with you (Gary...a bit shy tho'). But at the end of the day all LBS have their Advantages and Disadvantages. Crown might not have all the stock that OC have but they are at least a bit more competitive with their prices.

CWC on the other hand.....no one can beat their prices and those boys sitting in that back room are SHARP!! Their marketing is excellent and found their service to be superb. Keep it up Chris Jnr & your team.

8 Thumps for CWC

7 Thumps for CC

6 Thumps for OC

PS: We'll get back to BC (The Osman Boyz)

DMC0072010-05-25 16:51:49

Well maybe its in the genes, "old man " Cloete was a great cyclist, his dad a great mechanic / wheel builder. Chris senior a great cyclist . So maybe cycling genes and experience goes with providing the service. Yes Crown dont supply my frames, maybe CWC supply my parts, but Crown does the work . And cheap too.

Luks like you boosting for a 15% discount clap.gif