I or someone I know was Hijacked when and where.

Foxxy

Amoryn' date=' it's not the country, it's the f.cking people in  it, and you know which people I am talking about.[/quote']

worst of all is they put a gun to your face just to steal R100 and a crappy little nokia phone...and now they think they will be rich if they do that...sometimes I wonder how they think, if they think at allCry

Bikejacking at Majik Forest a couple of months ago, robbery at Koeberg last year in March.  Don't think CT is safe, that is the biggest mistake you can make.

CT maybe not safe but a lot more infrequent than Gauteng. Anyway, haven't been riding over Pappegaaiberg for years. Like the man says, it ain't safe anymore.

Bottom line is you have to ride in groups.

Anybody read the article in Tread magazine about when and how to carry a gun when riding. Found that to be very shocking, that we have come to a place where a local mag tells you where in the group the gun should be and how many etc.

Hate that it has come to a public statement like that.

I ride the Bottelary road every weekend, but try to ride after 9 so there is more movement/traffic on the road. Luckily no bike-jacking this far. A friend's friend had three attempted bike-jacking's in the space of 500m on the Bottelary road in January (don't know the time of day), got away but not the guy behind him that got pushed of his bike. The perpetrators fled with nothing, because a vehicle stopped to assist the rider.

Also ride Koeberg quite often, but never alone

Great thread, but try and focus on the purpose of the thread (identifying "hot-spots") and start a new thread to complain about the crime condition in the country

A colleague of mine was bike-jacked some time last year on his ride out of Giba Gorge, but since then the cops tracked down the bliksems and arrested them, and the bike was recovered.. I also beleive the 'riding route' to and out of Giba has been closed since a few months ago, forcing people to drive to the bmx/mtb park and pay the normal enterance fee as Giba was losing a bit of profit from people riding in and out.. so as far as I know Giba Gorge is a safe place to ride, especially since they've added more security guards in and around the park.

Another place of concern is the Kenneth Steynbank Nature Reserve, as rumor has it there have been quite a few bike-jackings going on, even in group rides.

The idiots that was at our property on the 30th of April 2010, again tried their luck at Arkansas Street, Berario, yesterday evening. The ******* (excuse my language) work in 3, and their getaway vehicle is a blue Mazda Midge.

Apparently, the day before they were at Norman Drive, Northcliff, where they stolen a Jeep.

The best of all, the police are aware of teh ******* with the blue Mazda Midge, but, again, they get away and aint caught. 

Oh ya and had an attempted break in at my house in Somerset West... Worst of all is one of the okes shat in the garden...must have been a bit benoud while scoping out the scene of the crime!

They say it's the drugs or stuff they take before they break in, that makes them poefie in your garden.Dead  

We're very fortunate in the Boland area and even Cape Town. I am not aware of many hijackings happening here. Any reports in CT area?

I've heard of a few bike jackings near Du Noon, and on the N7 near that squatter camp. Insane to cycle any where near a "location" - looking for trouble IMO.

I was also nearly pushed off my bike on the van Schoorsdrift road (old Malmesbury Rd - just off the N7 near the moto X track). Apparently that has become a bit of a hot spot.

Then also just outside Stellenbosch (on the road between Stellis and Klapmuts - not sure what it's called now), as you leave Stellenbosch there are those "skummy" flats on your left - I have it on good authority that a few drug dealers live there. On weekends the guys sit there in groups under the trees and have been known to target cyclists (sometimes even at gun point). It's safer to just go via the bottom road towards the Botterlary.

That's all I know of in Cpt.
MariusL2010-05-14 02:10:42

I agree that the road going past Kayamandi from Stellenbosch to the N1 is not always safe and then the road going past Cloetesville from Stellenbosch to Paarl. But only the sections going past those two residential areas. Once you are away from Stellenbosch it's fine again.

I haven't heard of any incidents in the Jonkershoek Valley but I do know that there is a growing "location" close to the gate that the town council is not doing anything about. So the current population is gradually growing into a township. Potential situation in a year or two?

I was attacked in somerset west while riding, luckily I was not hurt, but since then I'm riding with a gun, north american arms .22 magnum its very small, take 5 rounds. when its in my back pocket I dont even feel it.

Some people say small guns are useless, but I promise you that you wont feel lekke when I shoot you with it. Perfect for the job, I wish more people will arm themselves, the last couple of years everybody was turning their guns in, shocking....