EPIC Hard or Soft?

Spartikus

Just done the Joberg2C on a hardtail, on not that bad at all. The grass patches the first couple of days were challenging but not unbearable. Was already back on the bike this morning. Will I do it on a hardtail next year?

Yes

Sias I thought that was all part of the entry fee Tongue

But on a slightly more serious note guys' date=' what would the bottom line be even on a secondhand bike here, it is for a lady as well?
Lets say.. what would be the least spec needed to complete THE BEAST?
[/quote']

to conquer the epic was my goal last year as well.

Linden cycles kited me out with Merida 96 1000/3000 year ago with few changes: conti tubeless tyres, Fizik Gobi XM and flashy CrossMax SLRs.  Few Mavic and Santini bibs.

entries to all possible MTB events (pioneer, desert dash, Nandos Challene, Attakwas and road Kremetart, Jock, Durban, Argus, D2D, 94.7, R4V and many, many more)  between May 09 and epic 10 plus traveling expenses, accomodation.

Worn and broken: saddle post(carbon), 2*RD, bottle cages, tyres, rear hub, chains, cassette, chainrings, pair of mtb shoes (I know I walk to much), fork (R4k rebuild/service!!!!), cables bearings and bushes....

Plus the entry fee itself and all the spares for the road bike where I train most.

It is shocking to see how much and how quickly it adds up.

I am sure you can do the epic on a inexpensive frame (Raleigh Namib FS) and do not have to do races to train for the epic (although I find it easy tool to gauge my progress), but the wear and tear, decent bibs, shoes and decent tyres are a must. I would do nothing different (well train harder and more maybe) for another one: I have seen a team from belgium time bared on the first day. Not a preety sight or feeling. Rather spend more and train harder than look for a cheap/easy way. my 5c.

29pgc102010-05-04 10:23:16

Sias is quite right except next year`s entry is 30k!

WTF?!? For that kind of money I want the following:

I want someone to peddle my bike for me. Then I want a 5 star steak dinner and the same in the mornings for breakfast.

For the shower' date=' I'd like my own female "shower assistant.

Then my own personal massage tent with a blond busty masseuse.

Then before I go to sleep in my 5 star luxury tent on my Sealy Posturepedic, a blowjob from either my shower assistant or masseuse, or both...

[/quote']

the red tent and the RentAMattress were the higlights of the day for me (after average 7-8h in the saddle) and the only sex we got was in the morning in the BUM CLINIC Smile. There was even one blonde working there (but all of them gave us a slap on the bums on last dayLOL)

I have done the Epic (old 970km one) nad the Joberg2c on a hardtail. There were probably 3 places I would have liked a soft tail.

I don't like the feel of soft tails and having seen the problems the guys have with the rear suspension, feel the simpler the better - less to go wrong.

As for the Epic, if he wants a decent ride with an amazing level of satisfaction, do the Joberg2c. When I finished the Epic I was ****ing happy and swore never to do another. When we finished the Joberg2c I was already thinking about entering again. Value for money the Epic ain't, either...

However, I think it is vital for MTB street cred (is that an oxymoron?) to have at least one Epic under one's belt...

I think J2C might end up with more street cred.

IMHO, not until it counts for UCI points and attracts the world champions.

Phil Liggett riding on the 7th day was cool, but not street credilicious...

So, then, who actually wants street cred? I'd rather ride the Joberg2c...

There was a guy that did the Epic on a rigid single speed a few years ago.

There are guys who throw money at the problem and buy R100K machines at the last minute.

The first guy did that because he wanted too. The other guys, because they can. There are 'normal' people that do it on entry level hard tails and drink water, eat what's at the tables or what they took from breakfast, don't have massages and do thier own maintenance and really enjoy the event (I gotta say that I wouldnt want to do it that way, but then again, I am not doing it at all).

Disc brakes and tubeless tyres on a generally well maintained machine is your bottom line, I suppose. Whatever your mate rides will require a lot of maintenance and replacing of parts with all the training - bear that in mind when working out a budget.

I think J2C might end up with more street cred.
IMHO' date=' not until it counts for UCI points and attracts the world champions.[/quote']

This will only mean something to the top riders, J2C on the udder hand will be seen as the one to do in time to come, me thinks.

I vote for dual suspension too

I've ride a hardtail an change over to dual

could feel the difference especially on the downhill sections.

Guest coenie

WOW, there are some hectic prices "quoted" here.....

I would say that you need the following

1. Full suss....R9 - 15000 2nd hand will get you bike with LX / deore to full XT

2. R15 000 for next years Epic

3. During the Epic, wash your bike and lube often......and you will / should not need any spares....

4. Worst case you will / might need a chain

5. Budget R1000 for some time in the big physio tent

6. Your race food.......

epic was rather inexpensive on spares:

- one cracked valve - I had spare

- two bombs

- two bottles of squirt lube

- one secondhand xt inner cage for my RD from Probike guys.

I dont think I have spend R500 during the race itself, that including beers, burgers (none of which was necesary as catering was spot on), bombs, the cage.

and bike wash was for free everyday :)

Coenie I do feel you need some spare brake pads though as well as some good quality bibs.  Maybe spokes for funny wheels

For 10k CWC now sells a raleigh ds with pedals, deore and RS air suspension, good start if you want to keep the cost low, add tubeless and off you go !

Guest coenie

Coenie I do feel you need some spare brake pads though as well as some good quality bibs.  Maybe spokes for funny wheels

For 10k CWC now sells a raleigh ds with pedals' date=' deore and RS air suspension, good start if you want to keep the cost low, add tubeless and off you go !
[/quote']

Yes, maybe some brake pads. I did the Epic on one set of "Metal" pads and still have lots of use left in it....

I think it depends on what type of pads you use.