1. 1. You like having an extra 3" - but do you prefer HT or Full Suspension

• Extra 3" makes it more comfortable so I don't mind a HT
    • Extra 3" with another 4" of squish floats my boat

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I traded my 26" FS (Merida 96 Team) for a 29er HT (S-Works Stumpy) and almost could not tell the difference in comfort. The 29er is a bit more forgiving than a 26" HT, but not yet a FS.

• 3 weeks later...

I got rid off my Felt 29" Nine Elite Carbon HT after last year and got a Scott Spark Elite 29" FS - and what a difference it does to ride comfort! The story about "29er HT is almost like a soft tail" - it is just a story.

cost difference?

weight difference?

we would all like to drive a rolls royce and sleep with (add desireable person's name here) but we cannot.

You must take into account that dual suspension alloy frames are heavy. For example a Merida 96 alloy frame with carbon rear stays weighs 3kg! That is heavy

for a dual suspension frame. I would say if weight is taken into concsideration i would've bought a carbon dual suspension.

But personally carbon hard tail 29ers are the thing for me. You must know if you are going to use the travel on a dual suspension fully to actually buy one.

Wow! That's rough. That's more than most trail bikes and A LOT more than an Anthem frame at 2.3kg incl shock. Also means their Alu frame is 1kg heavier than their carbon! The Zula is 2450g.

Edited by The Crow

Still find it hard to believe. A Giant Reign X with shock and hardware, and this is a 160mm bike, weighs 3.1kg!

Wow! That's rough. That's more than most trail bikes and A LOT more than an Anthem frame at 2.3kg incl shock. Also means their Alu frame is 1kg heavier than their carbon! The Zula is 2450g.

I picked up 2 kilograms over Christmas. Bike still the same.

I honestly have NO idea how people can say that a 29HT is the same or similar to a 26FS.... what 26 FS were you riding???

My 26FS is a Giant Anthem, it is plush and I use all 100mm of travel.

My 29HT is a Merida, it is much harder than the Giant.

Do not be fooled, it is still a hard tail and will still have hardtail characteristics.

• 3 weeks later...