Shoulder Injury - Grade 3 AC Joint Seperation

Siasvd

Hi,

I crashed during Lion Man and torn my AC Joint Ligaments in my left shoulder. As per two Orthopedic Surgeons, it is a

GRADE 3 AC JOINT SEPARATION.

Anybody with some knowledge/first hand experience on this type of injury?

Operative OR Non-Operative TREATMENT????

Dr1 wants to operate, Dr2 say its not necessary...

Thanks

from personal experience its just a matter of time before you have to have it surgically fixed, torn ligaments dont heal themselves and stretched ligaments leave you with what they call an unstable joint meaning that it dislocates easily! take it from me !! have it fixed now because the longer you wait the bigger the procedure becomes. i started out with an unstable shoulder and landed up with having a slap lesion, subscapularus tear and a rotator cuff being repaired. a shoulder op is not easy as the recovery takes a long time

another word of advise is if you have it fixed go to Dr Thys Debeer in pretoria he is the best shoulder doc in the country if you need his info pm me and i will give you his contact info

Had a grade 3 separation about 8 years ago with no repair. That shoulder is a bit lower and one can hear bone on bone, but absolutely no pain (as yet!) Probably best to have it repaired though. I wasn't happy to be off the bike any longer at the time, probably a mistake.

I dont know about shoulders, But I had my ACL torn of in my knee. Went with the opp, it took a while but is perfect now. Id go for the opp. Just my opinion. Dont expect miracles, but I do feel it will heel faster and better with surgery.

Strongs

if you're anywhere near wilgeheuwel side then go to dr de wilde and see what he says - he fixed my collarbone after my 'shova crash, sorted me (no surgery) after my mtb off-the-brdge the year after that and he sorted michaelH's "better-half" out as well. he does charge 150% med aid rates but he's worth it.

Did mine in 3 weeks before Epic in 2005. Was advised not to have an op. My shoulder was ok for Epic, but was stiff and sore when cold for about a year. Seems to be fine now, although the shoulder hangs a little lower than the other one.

Did mine august last year and no operation. Shoulder also hangs a bit lower and it hurts a bit in certain positions (just rode with 1 hand for the first 2-3 weeks). Just make sure you see a physio - don't want to end up with frozen shoulder.

Hi' date='

I crashed during Lion Man and torn my AC Joint Ligaments in my left shoulder. As per two Orthopedic Surgeons, it is a
GRADE 3 AC JOINT SEPARATION.

Anybody with some knowledge/first hand experience on this type of injury?

Operative OR Non-Operative TREATMENT????

Dr1 wants to operate, Dr2 say its not necessary...

Thanks [/quote']

It's not a big deal and will get better, see a decent physio and do a bit of swimming and all will be well.

had same injury grade 3 , its in  the grey area as the drs told me , operate or not makes no sig diffirence. My sholder has a prominent bump from the clav and it hurts in some positions but not unlivable , I was told if the grinding starts to hurt they can shorten the bone to reduce the pain . but im no dr and i can still ride ok .

Shoulder injuries takes a long time to heal. Crashed more than 2 years ago and damaged the tendons in my shoulder. Arm was in a sling for 3 weeks and rehab for 3 months. When i started physio i could not lift my arm higher than my waist. I had pain for about a year. I still tend to guard the shoulder because when i go for a back massage to take out all the knots, they always tell me that the other shoulder is much worse.

I tore ligaments in my shoulder, bloody sore I might add, Dr Patricious at the The centre for sports medicine (something like that) in Rosebank sorted me out...no op, a sling, physio and lots of stretching excersises. It took 8 weeks but is now perfect.

dis altyd debatteerbaar oor sny, of nie sny nie.  Graad 3 skeur is so in die middel van die skeure by 'n AC-gewrig, en die 1 wat die meeste kontroversie veroorsaak vir chirurgie of nie.  Indien jy BAIE goeie rehab doen, fisio, oefeninge, stabiliteit, kan jy goed regkom konserwatief, hang ook af wat jy na die besering wil doen in terme van aktiwiteite, of sport.  Chirurgie het maar altyd sy pro's en cons, dis invasive, daar is maar altyd litteken en bindweefsel en moet eers wag vir hegting, voor jy aggressief kan begin met rehab.

Die keuse bly egter joune, beide kan suksesvol wees, maar net so belangrik as wat die sny of nie sny is, so is dit belangrik wat JY na die besering doen, in terme van rehab en oefeninge.

Sterkte!!

I seperated my AC Joint on Jan 2nd this year.  My GP said that a screw would be needed. The surgoen said " Look on the internet  you will find about 40 different ways to fix it  - if there were only 3 ways you would know that two will work"

No Fix but managing to do eeverthing, - riding swimming etc.