Gear Restriction for Junior Riders

Trail Snail

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His bike has the Ultegra 53/39 Compact cranks - so I suppose that will be the first thing to be changed.

That is not a compact crank you have. Compact is 50/34. You just have to replace the 53 chainring to 52. BTW my U/14 son raced last week (WP Trials) and tried a 50/34 compact....it was an absolute waste of time for his power...and so I continue to learn by trial and error.

i'm going thru the same problems, the bike has campy components with a 53/39 chainring. so i'm also looking for a 52. any 2nd hand ones on sale? the biggest problem is getting the correct sprockets for the back.

My kids are using Shimano 9spd. All that I can afford!!

My U/12 is using 18, 19, 21, 24 & 27 (5gears)

My U/14... 17, 19, 21 23 & 25. I could give my U/14 a 27 but he is physically big and has the power to drive the 25. I suppose when we do races over Ou Kaapse Weg and Blackhill I'll then fit a 27 for him.

I just went through this whole experience this year and what a nightmare.

I have 2 kids racing League in Cape Town so had to learn the hard way.

U/12 - 52/18

U/14 - 52/17

U/16 - 52/16

I have posted some info and experience on our Website under the Development section...Junior cycling gear  2. Pro Classic League update. Check it out if you have some time.

Thats because the commissaires are not using roll-in and do not know the gear ratios that is allowed out of there heads with the various roll-in distances. Wich is partly understandeble with the various tyre size one also get which make it difficult to put to memory with all those tables.

The ruling is that ones bike just must be able to roll-in to the dist as set out above with the link. Overseas riders come here with 53 on there bikes, but there cluster is put together so it does roll-in at the correct age dist. The old ruling of 52X 14/16/17/18 has fallen away for about year allready.

I have also seen very few local youth riders with 53 on there bikes that do roll in. 

If anyone is interested I have a 14-25 9-speed BBB shimano fit cassette available for R250 excl postage.

So my question is. Is it advisable to give Jnrs. all their gears back for big races such as Die Burger, 99ner and the Cycle Tour. Restrict them for all the rest.

So my question is. Is it advisable to give Jnrs. all their gears back for big races such as Die Burger' date=' 99ner and the Cycle Tour. Restrict them for all the rest.[/quote']

No, it causes for great confusion between everyone, then at the end is it a rider that suffers a DQ.

There should be no problem with juniors riding on these gears, else they are not up to standerd to stick with elites.

Restricted gears is only used for League racing and therefore if you choose to let your kid ride otherwise then it is entirely your choice. Not the best of course!! I allowed my son the freedom of all his gears in this year's Argus and did fairly well. After that I decided no more...restrict his gears and get use to a HIGH CADENCE.

And thats why if riders from C.T come race above do they almost never have the correct gears on, any national event should the riders have the gears at least, meaning actually always. That is how it is written at UCI as well. Its only perception on riding open gears, etc, etc...Smile

I have the following Miche gears for 9spd- from 14/15/16/17/18 (2x)/19/20/21/22/23/24/26 and inserts for Shimano - and spacers for 9 spd.

Shimano 9 spd gears as follows: (2 each of) 14, 15, 16, 17,19, 21, 23 and (1x ) 18 and 25. These are nice to have to fill in the gaps.

In Shim 8spd gears I have 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25

Also 52t chainrings, 1 each of BBB, Shimano 5600, DA 7800 (will swop DA for 53 in same v/good nick) all in good nick. Also 10spd ultegra 14 -25 clusters - 2 of. PM if interested. Did the youth thing with laaities for 5 yrs. In SA 52x14/16/17/18 still required at SA's/Prov/Eric v Enter. O/seas have moved to Compact cranks with different ratios. Recommend staying with 52 for now, though.

With u14 gearing you need a smallest cog to be 17 teeth. What one of my friends did when he was u14 is get an u16 cassette (on a 10spd bike) and just replace the last cog with a spacer.

Just make sure that you set the rear derailleur right so that it doesn't shift the chain off the cassette!!