Keeping warm on the bike??

Squier

Tried the Jiffy Bag trick this morning.

With my overshoes / booties as well.

Keeps the chill at bay big time!

Thanx for the tip - great!

OK, so we are talking a 'sandwich bag' (which was the original posting) or something a little bigger ?

I tried on a sandwich bag earlier today and it covers half of my foot ... gave my wife a laugh if nothing else !

Are you talking perhaps a 'small freezer bag' that hangs out the top of your shoe ?

Sorry, this conversation is sounding dafter by the minute but simple tips like this can seriously add to the experience on the day !

By the way, I went for a ride after work yesterday evening with the mercury sitting 6 degC to remind myself of how cold things can get in Gauteng in winter (in prep for Fast & Furious experience this Saturday where it is forecast at around 0 degC at dawn) and felt pain in the order of (1) fingers followed by (2) toes followed by (3) cheek bones !

My gloves are the Thermal Paw variety but still my fingers went numb. I am hoping that by having an extra layer on the arms will lead to warmer arms and hence some chance of my fingers not breaking off from frost (hate that when it happens).

As for the cheek bones I assume a few more wors roll breakfasts should fatten me up in all the right places !

T.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds daft when you're at home in front of the fireplace with warm toes smiley3.gif

my size 4 feet fit into the jiffy bag but you'll probably need something a touch bigger and just trim the extra off. It sounds daft but I'm loathe to spend a fortune on booties and then find they don't work. The jiffy trick helped a bit riding in De Doorns 3 weeks ago in 3 degrees (only took 30km to defrost my feet and legs where I'd normally still be frozen after a 50km race). I suppose the most important thing is to keep your core warm and a bit of extra winter insulation could help.

I use those ultra-thin plastic bags that you often get at the supermarket which the packer uses to seal the fish or Handy Andy from the rest of the groceries...

Hope this helps!   smiley17.gif

Thanks for all the advice!! Though, Babbas was a breeze... Armwarmers and buff. All I needed. I'll do the sandwich thing on Saturday @ Fast & Furious!