Keeping warm on the bike??

Squier

OK, sounds like you guys need something to keep you warm until it gets warm, not real clothing for cold weather!  If you want proper protection from the cold, you need to layer up and here are some of my observations from riding in COLD weather (e.g.-10 degrees):

neoprene toecaps are useless, get proper ankle length rubberized, or for VERY cold conditions neoprene, booty covers.  They keep the wind and cold out and keep your shoes clean!

Keep you head warm:  Balaclavas are overkill for SA, but a proper fleecelined skullcap (preferably with windstopper layer) is fantastic.  Pair that with a Buff around your neck and you can handle cold conditions.  Putting the Buff on your head is pretty useless though as it is too thin.

Get proper gloves!  Proper insulated cycling gloves are worth the money.  Get them!

Like Mampara says: Get fleecelined bibs, they are probably the best piece of kit to keep you body warm.  Much better than leg warmers believe me.

Oh, and get rid of those useless cheap jackets.  Buy a proper technical jacket that stops the wind, breathes and stops (most) rain.  BIG difference between a cheap jacket and a good one.

Hope that helps...
Willehond2010-06-15 04:57:08

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm... All I have are arm-warmers' date=' leg-warmers, T shirt under cycle shirt, rain jacket, windtex long finger gloves, sandwich bags for the feet and a new untested buff... -2 you say....[/quote']

-2... I tell no lies! and you already said on the Babbas thread that you will be riding...

Anyway, Sandwich bags for the feet? I'm assuming only to keep dry?

LOL, I said I am temped... But the temptation is starting to feel like a challenge... and I don't like backing out of a challenge smiley16.gif

I learnt the sandwich bag trick from doing the Moo mall night rides.
Put foot in favorite MTB sock. Put sandwich bag over foot. Put foot in shoe. Done. I tried it at this week's night ride and it solved my "numb from cold" toe issues.
It ain't pretty, but it works a charm.

I will definitely give it a go. Anything will help tomorrow!

It's 10 outside now and it's past midday so can't see it moving way past 5 degrees tomorrow... fun fun fun!!!Dead

Is anybody willing to name brands?

Gloves: Rider, Louis Garneau, Sidi, Castelli(The new ones from CWC)?

Technical Jacket: Cape Storm, First Ascent, ....?

Thermal bibs:???

This wil help as I'm not sure whether spending R200 more on gloves is woth it, and when I start talking to the sales guy and ask what he uses, his response: I don't even cycle.

So, anybody willing to spill brands here?

Scuzzy, mine is.

Thermal undershirt = Due South

Thermal bibs = Giordana

Thermal armwarmers = BBB

Neoprene toe caps = Anatomic

Windjammer = Le Tour

Rain coat = Maxed

Gloves = Louis Garneu Wind Tex

Buff = Buff

Earwarmers = Giordana

Balaclava = Cannondale (this is actually to hot for SA)

Socks = woolen ones from Cape Union Mart

This wil help as I'm not sure whether spending R200 more on gloves is woth it' date=' and when I start talking to the sales guy and ask what he uses, his response: I don't even cycle.

[/quote']

Please tell me this plonker doesn't work in a bike shop ... and if he does, where, so we can avoid him (or the management that would employ him).

LeTurbo, I'm not gonna mention names, as this will change the subject, and as we all now, it could get ugly.

Bottom line for me is, I just really want to know what works for the cold and if they cannot help me at the bike shop, I'll get first hand info from TheHub.

Thanks Mambara, I'm actually waiting for that set of gloves. I love the new Castelli's on CWC's website though and they're a bit cheaper as well, which always helps :-)

I hate the cold - it hurts so I usually dress like this for cape cold:

Rapid Sport fleecy lycra longs - padding built in (these are the best investment I have ever made - wear them all the time)

Short or sleeveless cycle top

Long sleeved cycle top with full zip

Cycle rain/wind breaker

Full finger golves

Put foot in favorite MTB sock. Put sandwich bag over foot. Put foot in shoe. Done. I tried it at this week's night ride and it solved my "numb from cold" toe issues.

It ain't pretty' date=' but it works a charm.[/quote']

Just wondering if your foot slides around inside the shoe when you do the plastic bag trick ? Does it increase the chance of blisters ?

T.

Thermal vest underneath (not the cotton WW type)

Excuse my ignorance, what's meant by 'WW Type' ? I'm guessing Woolworths ?

I've been thinking of using a thermal vest for the cold rides, one I got from Cape Union Mart that I use when we camp in winter. Is that the type you mean ?

Also, any experience of whether they just get too hot ?

Thanks,

T.

must say not to difficult to beat the cold the problem is getting wet from the rain on the road that p's me off. And my road bike is so dirsty after today. I had long sleeve thermal top, two long sleeve cycling tops and a rain jaket on. Normal shorts with the new anatomic leg warmers. I also put a good amout on leg rub on b4 I left and a beanie and nice gloves.

Lucky it did not rain but still got wet from the road. Nice 4 1/2 hour ride.

It ain't pretty' date=' but it works a charm.[/quote']

Just wondering if your foot slides around inside the shoe when you do the plastic bag trick ? Does it increase the chance of blisters ?

T.

Tried the Jiffy Bag trick this morning.

With my overshoes / booties as well.

Keeps the chill at bay big time!

Thanx for the tip - great!

Mountain bikers = pure pissies. Roadies cycle shorts and short sleeve shirt........ draadsitter2010-06-16 11:18:15

I got a Goretex cycling jacket when I was in the UK - thats really effective to retain body heat, breathe and light & water proof nogal.

Don't see them around there, probably because they are a bit pricey.?

.... on their indoor trainers? smiley36.gif

nobody training outside in capetown in weather like this is a sissy

as for the jiffy bags - they're brilliant. I normally put a thin pair of socks on first, then jiffybags then my normal mtb socks. It not only stops the wind chill but it keeps the feet dry after the inevitable river crossings this time of year. I've never had a problem with blisters or feet slipping.