chain suck

udxcob

Not an expert as many other okes here but my experience - it can be due to worn chainrings (chainsuck occurs frequently and even when relatively clean), but in other cases chainsuck occurs infrequently due to mud and crap, and this can be sorted with a clean and lube, if it continues, new chainrings.

I found that by just keeping on riding with chainsuck, it eventually stopped.

Might have had something to do with the fact that I ripped of my rear deraileur but who knows...

Anyone know if some bike/frame designs are more prone to it?

It is not a function of frame design. It is a function of dirt and wear and chainring size. I know that chainsuck happens to damage the right chainstay right next to the middle chainring but that is an effect, not a cause. Ostensibly you can design a frame that wont be touched by a sucked chain but then you'll just rip the RD off so much easier. To an extent the frame protects the rear elements of the drivetrain of this voilent action.

and that is why most high end carbon frames have metal protectors on the right chain stay right behind the crank.

Raced the Greyton classic on saturday, i took a link out my chain and used squirt and no chain suck (thank goodness)

But it was a pretty dry race. :rolleyes: