Still carryinng a inner tube spare on UST setup?

CJVDM

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still carry a inner tube spare with you on UST wheelsetup?

• No, i dont carry an inner tube
    • Yes, i do carry an inner tube as spare in case....

A few things to consider when using a UST / Tubeless system:

- The system's primary focus is not avoidance of punctures, but rather better comfort and control riding lower pressures

- Conversions are not guaranteed to work and are more likely to fail when repairs are done on the trail due to not having workshop conditions to fit and inflate the tyres.

- If you get a side wall cut and need to put a gator in, you may as well put a tube in.

- Put some sealant in your tube - this will reduce the chance of a second puncture. The 50ml of sealant is hardly noticable, unless you are the type that removes 3 of the 6 disc mount bolts on your rotors to save weight.

- Remove your tyre every 6 months to inspect the condition thereof and to refill the sealant. At this time make sure the valve / rimstrip are removable.

- If you have UST rims you will be able to inflate the tyre with a good foot pump. It is worth the upgrade and can save you a lot of hassle when having to do repairs on the trail.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just carry 3 x bombs, no tube but duct tape, plugs. Never used the duct tape on the tyres... :)

I always ride with the correct tyre pressures, and the tubeless type tyres, yes a pair is nearly 600g more than the lighter tubeless ready tyre setup, but the time wasted in all your races with a "heavier" tyre will always be less than the time taken to repair a flat...

Yes its inevitable on extreme occasions, the heavier or protection type tyre will get an unsealable hole, but hey, a long walk occasionally won't kill you..

Yes its inevitable on extreme occasions, the heavier or protection type tyre will get an unsealable hole, but hey, a long walk occasionally won't kill you..

Yeah, a 10km run through the mine dumps with your bike on your shoulder is always fun. No, wait, the last time I did that was when I broke my rear dérailleur hanger.

I think you should add "only sometimes" to your poll. I bet that would have the most votes.

I thought the money was to phone 'a friend' or catch a taxi ....

I carry money for a beer if I ride past a shebeen

I carry money for a beer if I ride past a shebeen

There's no if in my rides, it's a when.

I must be honest - this had me stumped not so long ago as well... Have been riding a conversion kit for about 3 years now, and have never punctured, but for one occasion. Tyres were on the verge of being replaced, and had seen better days. Had an almighty wipe (mid-air somersaults and all :blink:), and my entire front tyre had "burped" off the rim - as in all the way around... Still not sure whether I wiped because of that, or whether it burped as a result of the wipe... ;)

Anyhoos - despite all my attempts, I simply could not remove the valve so as to insert the new tube's valve... Fortunately it wasn't too long to walk - but had me thinking, that if I had been in the middle of nowhere, I would've been in trouble... It appeared as if the slime/goop had got pretty hard /congealed around the valve area, and this contributed in it being difficult to remove...

Anyone ever have similar issues - any advice should it happen again? [touch wood]

I have also learnt the hard way with a valve not co-operating, I then put my leatherman micro into my tubby bag(the one with a small needle nose pliers in it) I have used it a dozen times form me and other peeps on the trails. It has now become indispensable in my bag. Only weighs 100 grams, but that is acedemic, as a quick slash balances the scales.

... as a quick slash balances the scales.

Nothing like a quick slash at the top of a climb when you are waiting for the slower folk in the group...

Oh you mean a slashed tyre.... <whistles and walks off>

Nothing like a quick slash at the top of a climb when you are waiting for the slower folk in the group...

Oh you mean a slashed tyre.... <whistles and walks off>

Never had that experience, as I am the folk that my mates wait for.

I carry:-

- 3 bombs (tubeless sometimes just won't seal fast enough with a pump)

- 2 tubes(with slime) they weigh a lot more - but at least you won't puncture again

- Plugs (cut them in half because thats enough and won't have knife to trim them out on route),

- instant stick patches (also good for sticking inside the tyre to seal a hole.

- small bottle chain lube (bloody chain-such after 2 hours in sand or mud)

- tool set with chain-breaker (fix many a fellow-riders chain)

- pump,

- tyre lever,

- a gater (piece of an old tyre),

- cell phone (for emergency)

- money (once bought a tyre halway in a race !) and of course in case I see a 'lady of the night')

It weighs a ton - but boy I have used them all before.

Too often I have had:-

- a hole (from a hard stick) or a cut, that does not seal - and needs a plug.

- a plug that eventually blows out of the hole on a rocky bumpy downhill

- fixed a tyre - but ran out of bombs to seat the rim.

- fixed the flat by installing a tube - but too many missed thorns just re-puncture the tube.

TIP - when you insert a plug, make knot in it first - this knot (inserted so it ends up on the inside of the tyre) helps to keep it in. A bike tyre is much thinner than a car tyre so not enough rubber to hold the plug.

i only carry plugs and bombs... motorbike and mountainbike... "if it can't be plugged it can't be ridden" is my motto ;-)

Since ive upgraded to UST wheelset, ive only carried my plugs and bombs along on rides. Havent even bothered to take a inner tube. Now ive heard some okes do still carry inner tubes as spares?

Do you? and if you do, pls let me know why.

You now get latex tubes which are incredibly light.

Much lighter than ordinary tubes