Still carryinng a inner tube spare on UST setup?

CJVDM

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still carry a inner tube spare with you on UST wheelsetup?

• No, i dont carry an inner tube
    • Yes, i do carry an inner tube as spare in case....

I will always carry a tube, had to use it once before thanks to a side wall cut. Tube, plugs and CO2 bomb a must have and if you look at the extra weight - it sure is worth it, rather a few extra grams than having to walk a few km's.

I thought the money was to phone 'a friend' or catch a taxi ....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who carry money with them for sidewall cuts - pardon my ignorance, but do you just put the note in and kinna fold it around the inside of the wheel or do you have to stick it down?

Yes just fold it to fit the hole,also handy if it's very hot for a coke on the way home.

Carry one note for my road bike to.

Jip, also carry tube, plugs, etc.

Almost needed it this morning on Breedtsnek ride - for some reason (could it be the cold?)the CrossMark wouldnt seal, pumped it a couple of times with CO2 bomb ... nothing. Inspecting the tyre, all the holes were "wet" from the sealant, resulting a lots of slow punctures.

Back at home, pumped with foot pump and all the holes sealed ... tyre is still good after 8 hours ... :unsure:

I use a nifty bottle in a cage that attaches to my seatpost. In it I have the following,

plugs + plugtools + patch glue

multitool

2x co2 boms + adapter thingy

spoke tool

adapter for using a garage pump on my presta valves.

chain breaker

powerlinks+ektra piece of chain

R20

and a tube

Quite a lot but I cycle far away from home and breakdowns wont let me push/call. Also have helped many a rider and made good cycle buddies that way...

I got a "Pinch Flat" "Snakebite" on my UST setup a few weeks back and no spare tube, had to borrow from my club mates. The tyre was a 4 week old Race King, had to get a new tyre.

Big hole near the bead and the rim meant no goo could seal that.

I carry 1 x bomb. that's all.

I make sure my pressures are correct and that's it.

In a stage race I will carry a tube but not in single events.

I carry a spare tube and a packet of jolly jammers (jolly jammer wrapper is cheaper than R20), never had to use it though....touch wood

I carry 1 x bomb. that's all.

I make sure my pressures are correct and that's it.

In a stage race I will carry a tube but not in single events.

What pressure you running the tyres at?

I dont walk, i normally phone the wife to come fetch me :lol:

if you put a tube in just keep the tubless valve (they cost around R100 new) or keep the stans conversion valve-strip.

the LBS does nothing special to make it tubless again, if you did not damage the rim tape(usually yellow tape to cover the spoke holes on non-tubless rimms) they only put the tubless valve back, put some sealant in, and pump it up with compressor till it pops in. then spin the wheel(while moving from upright to side) so that the sealant seals where not air tight.

The only time that I don't carry a tube is XC lap events where you are normally screwed if you get a puncture as the time margins are so tight.

For marathon events a tube and some duct-tape can be pretty essential unless you enjoy walkingback to the finish! Get one of the maxxis lightweight tubes which weigh virtually nothing.

I carry a bomb and plugs.

Only for stage races like joberg2c did I carry tubes because of the extra risk of not finishing the race.

Got one of the Maxxis flyweight tubes - 96g I think it weighs :)

Hammerhead no how does one manage to pinch flat a UST tyre ?

Since ive upgraded to UST wheelset, ive only carried my plugs and bombs along on rides. Havent even bothered to take a inner tube. Now ive heard some okes do still carry inner tubes as spares?

Do you? and if you do, pls let me know why.

Yes still carry a spare tube. Other than the most obvious use a spare tube could be used for various other emergency situations:

Multiple side wall damage patch - can be bitten into smaller pieces.

Bandage or Tourniquet.

Tow rope for team events.

Drag rope for portage of bike up or down really steep slopes.

Bondage rope for uhm... tying up potential hijackers.

Sling shot for self defense against wild animals / people.

Now imagine if we really had to use or imagination for the poor tube...

I carry one or sometimes two tubes...the stranded rider at last race I rode got my second one!

You can easily remove the tubeless valve, whether Mavic or Stans "Olympic" valves, so the bike shop doesn't have to get involved here.

You then put in your Presta valve tube after wiping out the slimy mess of Stans/sealant goo(carry a rag for this) if you run that in your UST tyres.

I also carry plugs, a piece of rubber & cut up toothpaste tube for sidewall cuts.

Also standard tube patch kit.

Last but not least a little Stan's bottle filled with my own sealant goo mix. I have managed to squirt that into a cut tyre and get it to seal again using my Blackburn mini pump.

Got one of the Maxxis flyweight tubes - 96g I think it weighs :)

Hammerhead no how does one manage to pinch flat a UST tyre ?

It is possible to cut/damage UST tyre sidewalls by pinching them between the rim and a hard object (usually that rock that you just looked at down the trail!)

Conti Race Kings are lightweight with relatively thin sidewalls.

This is more likely if you run low pressures.

Sometimes you lose pressure during a ride due to puncture/s that have been sealed by sealant but you still lose some air as it seals. Also some holes seal partially and leak slowly (especially if on sidewalls)

• 2 weeks later...

if you put a tube in just keep the tubless valve (they cost around R100 new) or keep the stans conversion valve-strip.

the LBS does nothing special to make it tubless again, if you did not damage the rim tape(usually yellow tape to cover the spoke holes on non-tubeless rimms) they only put the tubeless valve back, put some sealant in, and pump it up with compressor till it pops in. then spin the wheel(while moving from upright to side) so that the sealant seals where not air tight.

I must be honest - this had me stumped not so long ago as well... Have been riding a conversion kit for about 3 years now, and have never punctured, but for one occasion. Tyres were on the verge of being replaced, and had seen better days. Had an almighty wipe (mid-air somersaults and all :blink:), and my entire front tyre had "burped" off the rim - as in all the way around... Still not sure whether I wiped because of that, or whether it burped as a result of the wipe... ;)

Anyhoos - despite all my attempts, I simply could not remove the valve so as to insert the new tube's valve... Fortunately it wasn't too long to walk - but had me thinking, that if I had been in the middle of nowhere, I would've been in trouble... It appeared as if the slime/goop had got pretty hard /congealed around the valve area, and this contributed in it being difficult to remove...

Anyone ever have similar issues - any advice should it happen again? [touch wood]