Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked it out now on a pair of Freeriders from CRC and it will cost about R1700 with duties so it's cheaper then local and they have my size and a color selection.

Nice... what's the price if I may ask?

Ok so spoke to a guy now who bought in some Shimano Am9 shoes from CRC and he paid 44% customs????????????

Edited by Bizkit031

Ok so spoke to a guy now who bought in some Shimano Am9 shoes from CRC and he paid 44% customs

no, he paid 30% plus vat. Or, rather, he should have. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

"VAT in Northern Ireland:  The VAT system in Northern Ireland is policed by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)".  

This is the same as the rest of the UK.  Hence they should apply VAT the same way...

I'll send them a mail to clarify.  Just for my curiosity...

Herewith their reply - does not say much...:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

At Chain Reaction Cycles our cost to serve differs from market to market. When setting the price of items we must take in all the factors that govern the cost.

These are examples of a few factors that are taken into consideration when determining the price of an item:

• Current cost of the items that are sold in that market by both domestic and foreign retailers

• Shipping costs

• Discounts and promotions

• Seasonal demand

Due to the extensive list of these factors, this can sometimes lead to certain categories or indeed individual products having different prices in different markets at the same time.

We always strive to provide the items at the best possible price to the customer, in which ever market they purchase.

Please Note:

Our pricing strategies adhere to EU pricing Law.

VAT is not added to the price of the item if the country is classified as VAT free.

VAT is not added to the item, if the item is not applicable for VAT.

Hope this helps."

At Chain Reaction Cycles our cost to serve differs from market to market. 

Due to the extensive list of these factors, this can sometimes lead to certain categories or indeed individual products having different prices in different markets at the same time.

well that's a bit dodge if you ask me. 

They probably saw SA orders increase since Brexit and Pound lost some momentum and started jacking up prices for SA.

well that's a bit dodge if you ask me. 

They probably saw SA orders increase since Brexit and Pound lost some momentum and started jacking up prices for SA.

It's probably a bit of built in buffer for exchange rate volatility. Takes a couple days for the cash to get to their account, so they have to be assured that the ACTUAL sale price is paid. Since we've seen extreme volatility, and it's well known that our currency is one of the more volatile, it makes sense.