Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Myles, quick bit of wisdom please, answered plenty of times in this thread, and after scrolling 5 pages, I ended up bored an still uninformed...

Current duties on bring in complete bikes?

say said bike is X amount and postage is Y amount.

Duties are calculated on X+Y if I'm not mistaken?  And then what are those percentages at the moment?

Thanks!

Edited by nox1111

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikes are 15% Import Duty.

Plus 10%ATV and 14% VAT..

Is the ATV always applicable?

I thought its only applied when there is no import duty?

Is the ATV always applicable?

I thought its only applied when there is no import duty?

Nope, it is always Applicable on any import. 

Okay, Lexx so here is one for you.... 

1: A guy in SA has brother in the UK who owns a Ltd company. 

2: Guy in SA gets brother in UK to buy a fork from a UK distributor with that company. Say a pike or similar. 

3: Guy in UK then sells that fork for £10 to Brother in the SA and ships it with that invoice as a record of legal sale price. 

What will the brother paying duties etc or will he just pass go, not collect his fork and head to jail.   ;)

Just wondering as this was the centre of a heated debate over beers and burgers the other night and no one actually had any clue. 

Edited by hellocolour

Okay, Lexx so here is one for you.... 

1: A guy in SA has brother in the UK who owns a Ltd company. 

2: Guy in SA gets brother in UK to buy a fork from a UK distributor with that company. Say a pike or similar. 

3: Guy in UK then sells that fork for £10 to Brother in the SA and ships it with that invoice as a record of legal sale price. 

What will the brother paying duties etc or will he just pass go, not collect his fork and head to jail.   ;)

Just wondering as this was the centre of a heated debate over beers and burgers the other night and no one actually had any clue. 

We wont accept that Value, as it is under-valued and be by-passing duties and vat owed to the state. We will do our own valuation on the Pike Fork,and charge him the correct rate. :thumbup:

I think all angles.. We must watch for any Pike fork imports. :ph34r:  :whistling:

Errr... it was totally 'a friend' who wanted to know. You don't know him. 

Nope, it is always Applicable on any import. 

Damn, so the correct sum would be:

value of item + import duty + 10% + 14%

Also not sure if I missed it, but whats the process for 2nd hand imports?

Edited by Jurgens Smit

hellocolour! What a question!

From which angle are you asking- law, moral, ethical, philosophical?

A reasonably beer and burger fuelled debate amongst buddies who were discussing the CRC / SRAM / everyone embargo on shipping to SA and trying to work what was legal, what was 'grey' what was down right wrist slapping fine material and what the options might be.

Needless to say after setting the world to rights we can't remember most of the master plan past that snippet. 

So here is a question (again Lexx if you're not shaking your head too much!), what about things on auction that are a bargain? Like Ebay? You can get some awesome deals there that are not second hand and that is legit purchase but at a discount / clearance cost. Is the same 'value' rule still applied and is it based on the comparative local cost of the item? 

#enquiringminds. :)

Edited by hellocolour

A reasonably beer and burger fuelled debate amongst buddies who were discussing the CRC / SRAM / everyone embargo on shipping to SA and trying to work what was legal, what was 'grey' what was down right wrist slapping fine material and what the options might be.

Needless to say after setting the world to rights we can't remember most of the master plan past that snippet. 

So here is a question (again Lexx if you're not shaking your head too much!), what about things on auction that are a bargain? Like Ebay? You can get some awesome deals there that are not second hand and that is legit purchase but at a discount / clearance cost. Is the same 'value' rule still applied and is it based on the comparative local cost of the item? 

#enquiringminds. :)

Good Question. The valuation wont be judged the same. :thumbup:

Damn, so the correct sum would be:

value of item + import duty + 10% + 14%

Also not sure if I missed it, but whats the process for 2nd hand imports?

2nd hand import are strictly prohibited on certain goods. You must just verify on the Prohibited and Restricted list and verify with ITAC. You might need a Import permit.

We wont accept that Value, as it is under-valued and be by-passing duties and vat owed to the state. We will do our own valuation on the Pike Fork,and charge him the correct rate. :thumbup:

Give us some insight on how the valuation is done on items deemed undervalued?

2nd hand import are strictly prohibited on certain goods. You must just verify on the Prohibited and Restricted list and verify with ITAC. You might need a Import permit.

Lexx is one of the wise men.

I bought some 2nd hand motorcycle parts on ebay and it took me forever to retrospectively sort out the paperwork with ITAC. The items were impounded by Customs on arrival and I was in deep sh!t for importing without paperwork. 

T