Double jump on RD

Malduik

Hey Peeps

I fitted a used pair of X7 shifters to a training MTB bike yesterday. when i shift it keeps on skipping one gear, i.e. 1, 3, 5 etc.

I presume the shifter takes and releases too much cable with each shift.

Can i adjust the shifter?

(sorry to bug you guys, i've been waiting for 'Zin and the art of MTB Maintenance' for over a month from Kalahari. Apparently the WC is delaying all deliveries nationwide)

Cheers

Malduik

Hey Peeps

I fitted a used pair of X7 shifters to a training MTB bike yesterday. when i shift it keeps on skipping one gear, i.e. 1, 3, 5 etc.

I presume the shifter takes and releases too much cable with each shift.

Can i adjust the shifter?

(sorry to bug you guys, i've been waiting for 'Zin and the art of MTB Maintenance' for over a month from Kalahari. Apparently the WC is delaying all deliveries nationwide)

Cheers

Malduik

What rear derailleur do you have on there?

The Sram shifters have a different shifting ratio than shimano. So you need a Sram rear der.

No. Just get a sram rear deraileur. That's all.

You can still use shimano casette, chain, front derailleur etc

Sticky X9 RD: The movement up and down is not smooth and hesitates causing crunchy gears - even off the bike you can feel it. Some guy even posted up a utoob of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCxEeX1t_so

Caused me lots of grief. Tried everything to get gears right, eventually nailed it down to this problem, then saw others on the net picked it up as well. I 'upgraded' to X0, sent the one X9 I got from CRC back to them and got a voucher for the full value, other I got locally still with Solomons and 'the rep' but I can see a scrap coming on, there for even just a credit.

It's not a design problem: its a manufacturing / batch problem with clearances or something: they should do the right thing and do a recall.

Stewie

Are you a Sram rep?

Or are you just trying to poison my mind with your crazy Sram talk???

Rode Shimano for 3 years - Changed to SRAM this year (X0 trigger / X9 RD combo) and haven't missed a gear since. Nothing like a picture to illustrate a point:

New bike will have SRAM X0 Gripshift / XO RD combo. B)

Rode Shimano for 3 years - Changed to SRAM this year (X0 trigger / X9 RD combo) and haven't missed a gear since. Nothing like a picture to illustrate a point:

New bike will have SRAM X0 Gripshift / XO RD combo. B)

youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

The extra price of X0 is well worth it I reckon. As much as I would like to support local industry, even the cheapest here is just about 2x the CRC price, and about the price of an X9 (which could well be a lemon)

The X0 is very well made: and you can take it all apart to service it, the pins on the quadrilateral have circlips on them.